Chapter 6. Virtues of Lifemate
51. Home by her virtues suits. Her man’s
Means within leads life mate.
She that by her virtues suits herself to home life and manages the household within her husband’s means is life mate.
52. Home virtues housewife has not. Life
How great be though not so.
She that manages the household does not have the virtues of home life, how great life may be it will not be considered so.
53. Lack what housewife is good. Have what
Housewife has virtues low.
What a household lacks if a housewife is good and what a household has if the housewife has inferior qualities.
54. Woman’s pride befits what. Chasteness,
The moral strength exists.
What befits a woman’s pride is chasteness, the moral strength that exists in her.
55. God adores not but man when up.
“Rain!” exclaims. Comes down rain!
She does not worship God but her husband when she is up. If she exclaims, “Rain!” it will rain.
56. Hers keeps. Her man’s keeps. To elders
Word keeps. Slacks not woman.
She that keeps the honour of her line and keeps the honour of her husband’s stock and keeps the promise made to elders and without slackening cares for the household is woman.
57. Gaol’s safety keeps safe what. Women’s
Chastity keeps safe best.
What can protection as that of a gaol’s protection do? It is the chastity of women that affords the best protection.
58. Had had have women great honour
Deities dwelling world.
Women will have great honour in the world where gods abide, if they had husbands that had good qualities.
59. Worth knew wife lacks, not before mock
Lion like stately walk.
He that lacks a wife who knew the worth of home life cannot walk majestically like a lion before those who mock at him.
60. Blessing is wife’s virtues. And her
Ornaments good children.
Blessing is wife’s virtues and her ornaments are good children.