Every now a then we all get it: the late night munchies. Although they may not be the healthiest thing for us, we usually still obey the tummy. I have gathered three of my favorite late-night recipes that also (for the most part) can be pretty healthy.
STRAWBERRY KALE SMOOTHIE
I LOVE smoothies; in fact, most of my diet is based around kale smoothies. I, as most do, get exhausted with continuing the same routine over and over though. So here is a healthy alternative that you can whip up quickly before that movie you watch.
- Start off with grabbing some strawberries and a banana. How many strawberries you ask? How much do you like strawberry? That should answer your question.
- Throw in about half a cup of low fat yogurt, I find that the brand Lucerne tastes great. I would suggest plain but if you’re not too worried about the calorie counting, go grab the strawberry.
- Throw in your strawberries and banana.
- Take an orange, cut it in half and use a juicer to get the pure OJ out. Don’t have one? Take a fork to it and get it in there.
- Now the fun part, get your Kale (which you can usually find in the grocery store or your farmers market) and cut until you have about a cup.
- Add ice and blend; it may look green and gross, but trust me, don’t knock it before you try it!
LOW CALORIE ICE CREAM BAR!
I am a recovering ice cream addict… Who am I kidding, I am addicted to ice cream and I’m proud! But when I am in camp or training for a competition I have to stay away from it, so I found a sweet little low fat yogurt ice cream recipe.
- Again, we are going with strawberries and bananas. Chop up a full banana and about a cup of strawberries and put them in the blender
- Then get about a cup of low fat greek or regular yogurt in the blender and blend!
- Get your ice cream bar molds, if you’re a star wars geek like me you can get some (not cheap) lightsaber molds! http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eea5/
- Freeze and enjoy
Now this one isn’t healthy… at all. This is more of a snack I make when it’s a cheat day or just not worried about calories. If you are like the rest of the people in the world, you probably enjoy tacos just as much as I do. But there always seems to be leftovers! This recipe is great because you can add or take away anything from this list except the chips and cheese and still have it taste great.
- First lay your tortilla chips down in a nice sized bowl and grab some sharp cheddar shredded cheese and pile it on.
- Add some taco meat and cover the top
- Add some refried beans on the side
- Throw it in the microwave or the oven for no more than two and a half minutes
- Add salsa and some sour cream and enjoy!
Hope you enjoy some of my late night snacks. Post some of your favorites in the comments below!