While the second season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is arguably one of the best of the series, there are some real stinkers in its midst. And although I have seen many people call “Ted” and “Bad Eggs” two of these, I kind of like those episodes, and think the season was at its worst during:
5. What’s My Line? (parts one and two)- These two episodes never seem to make it on any “worst of” lists. But they never seem to make any “best of” lists either. Really, my problem with “What’s My Line?” is that a plot that is relatively ho-hum in the grand scheme of Buffy is given a two episode arc. Yes, Spike and Dru are planning some bad things. Also there are those assassins (gross wormy guy). And there is Kendra, who I do like. Also there’s Buffy fighting her desires and her calling and the way the two seem to clash (which is the most interesting part of these episodes). But none of those things are given enough time to really develop into anything besides an (albeit ambitious) mishmash of Buffy-type stuff.
4. Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered- Xander is a great character. But the most unlikable part of Xander is his male entitlement–he sometimes comes off as one of those guys who would say “friend zone” un-ironically. He seems to think his occasional valiant behavior deserves a reward. This is why “Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered” bothers me so much. A love spell really just feels like rape, and while he learns by the end of the episode a little bit about what is messed up about performing one, the episode isn’t funny or interesting enough to excuse it.
3. Inca Mummy Girl- Worst title of an episode ever. Basically “Teacher’s Pet” from season one, but instead of a demon bug thing, Xander is in love with a cursed mummy girl. They should’ve known when they tried to name the episode that if they couldn’t think of anything to name it besides the direct subject of the episode that maybe it wasn’t so good.
2. Some Assembly Required- Awful. Just gross and awful. I frequently skip this one. The rationale behind why these boys would want to make a girl our of lots of dead girl parts is not enough for me to sit through an entire episode of it. I get the Frankenstein reference, but the show doesn’t do anything interesting with it, and it becomes another one of many pieces of media where girls are chopped into bits. Nope.
1. Go Fish- As much as I hate “Some Assembly Required,” the episode where the swim team are also fish monsters is bad enough to make it into the top spot. Part of the reason is the placement. It is right before the season finale, and so it really messes up the flow of an otherwise decent season and an amazing arc involving Angelus, Spike and Drusilla. Were it aired earlier in the season it might not…actually, I just remembered how stupid it is. Never mind.