The spin-off of Buffy the Vampire Slayer was pretty good, and a must watch for Buffy fans. But the show featured some characters that kind of…well, to use a vampire term…sucked. Thankfully, most of them were on the sidelines.
5. Virginia Bryce- Wesley’s girlfriend for a few episodes could have been such a cool character. Unfortunately, she was kind of a non entity. The idea of her Virginia, a hip, sexual and young daughter of a wizard who knows all about “the biz” and who speaks truth to Wesley and keeps him grounded. Seems like a great character. But they never pushed her past her initial introduction, and she seemed to serve as a mere prop to let us know that the awkward Wesley isn’t a virgin, okay??
4. Kate Lockley- Kate was another character who was awesome on paper, but in practice ended up being every L.A. detective TV cliche all rolled into one. Her dislike of Angel because he was a vampire was at first reasonable, after all, vampires killed her father. But after a while, she seemed to hate Angel just because the writers couldn’t figure out what to do with her.
3. Trevor Lockley- Kate Lockley had a father character, and his biggest flaw was that he was more boring than Kate. In his final episode, where he is killed by vampires, we are finally treated to a more human side of him (towards the very end of the episode). But for most of his scenes (which are few, but feel like too many), he is a text book distant father character with nothing more interesting to offer. He is a lazily written reason for Kate’s lazily written problems. Which makes him worse than Kate.
2. Connor- Connor is one of the most important characters in the series. And I don’t think he can be done away with. After all, he is responsible for some of Angel’s biggest arcs as a character, and some of Angel‘s biggest arcs as a show. But Connor is messed up, and a brat, and he has a lot of anger issues. And while Vincent Kartheiser (of Mad Men fame) does the best he can with the role, Connor is rarely, if ever, likable.
1. Eve- Eve is so pointless and annoying. She appears in the final season, when Angel Investigations becomes Wolfram and Hart, as a liaison to the Senior Partners. But the actress looks like a child so all her smoldery sexy monologues are…extremely creepy. She also, after a half season of the show teasing us with what she knows and what she doesn’t and what she mind be planning, winds up being quite boring. Oh. She’s in love with Lindsay McDonald…and…that’s about it. One of the reasons that she is in this spot as the worst Angel character is that she completely negates the awesomeness of the other women on the show. Cordelia and Fred have depth. Eve has some outfits.