Summer has finally arrived! And what better way to celebrate this long Memorial Day weekend than by serving some of these tasty summer appetizers that are sure to impress your friends, family, guests, and yourself!
1) Strawberry Bruchetta
Welcome the start of the summer with this eye-catching Strawberry Bruchetta by Annie’s Eats that combines sweet red strawberries with fresh basil and savory goat cheese.
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and diced
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 French baguette, sliced on a bias
- 4 oz. goat cheese
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup minced basil leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the strawberries together with sugar in a small bowl. Let the berries macerate for about 30 minutes.
- Spread a thin layer of goat cheese on top of each baguette slice.
- Top each slice with the strawberry mixture.
- Drizzle lightly with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Garnish with the basil leaves and cracked pepper to taste.
2) Mini Buffalo Blue Potato Skins
Memorial Day is a time to relax and unwind, so check out this delicious, no-hassle recipe for Mini Buffalo Blue Potato Skins from Healthy. Delicious.
- 2 pounds small golden potatoes
- ¼ cup Blue Cheese Salad Dressing (buy at the store or make your own), plus additional for serving
- 2 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 6 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Pierce the potatoes with a fork and microwave for 8 minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- Heat oven to 450ºF.
- Cut the potatoes in half and use a small spoon to scoop out the insides, leaving a ¼-inch edge. Reserve the potato for another use. Arrange the potato skins cut side up on a heavy baking sheet. Brush the insides with blue cheese dressing.
- Bake for 10 minutes; flip the potatoes so the cut side is down and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Turn the potatoes over so the cut side it up. Sprinkle with hot sauce and fill with shredded cheese. Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Top with scallions. Serve with additional blue cheese dressing and hot sauce to taste.
3) Red-Pepper Hummus in Cucumber Cups
Looking for a fresh, healthy option that is packed with flavor? Then the perfect choice this Memorial Day is Red-Pepper Hummus in Cucumber Cups from My Recipes.
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 7-oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 English cucumbers
- Combine the first 8 ingredients plus 1 Tbsp. hot water in food processor and puree until smooth. Adjust seasoning as desired.
- Cut cucumbers (on a bias) into 1/2 -inch-thick slices and scoop out seeds with a small spoon or melon baller, leaving bottom intact to form a cup.
- Fill each cup with hummus and serve.
4) Spinach Artichoke Bites
Want to impress your guests without working too hard this holiday? Then take your spinach artichoke dip to the next level with Spinach Artichoke Bites from The Kitchen Life of a Navy Wife.
- 1 package cream cheese, softened (8 oz.)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (14 oz.)
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 tubes of crescent rolls
- Shredded mozzarella
- Heat oven to 375 ºF.
- Lightly spray two muffin tins with baking spray.
- Combine the first six ingredients in a large bowl, stir well; set aside.
- Roll the crescent roll dough out (one tube at a time) onto a large work surface. Seal all the perforations together so that you’re left with one big piece of dough. Using a knife or pizza slicer, cut the dough into 12 roughly even squares (you end up with 24 squares total). Press each of the dough squares into the two muffin tins.
- Using a teaspoon, fill each cup with the spinach artichoke mixture. If desired, sprinkle each cup with a little shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for 12 minutes and cool for a few minutes before serving.
5) Grilled Bacon Jalapeno Wraps
What is Memorial Day without firing up the grill? And what appetizer list is complete without something wrapped in crispy bacon? Everyone will love this mouth-watering favorite from All Recipes member Miss G.
- 6 fresh jalapeno peppers, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 1 package cream cheese (8 oz.)
- 12 slices bacon
- Preheat an outdoor grill to high heat.
- Fill jalapeno halves with cream cheese. Wrap with bacon. Secure with a toothpick.
- Place on the grill, and cook until bacon is crispy.
Happy Cooking! Happy Eating! And of course Happy Memorial Day!