I am a firm believer in healthy eating, but also I believe in treating myself on occasion. Here are some of my favorite food indulgences at Trader Joe’s. Please keep in mind that everything listed below may not be available at your local store, and that some items are seasonal.
1. Jumbo Cinnamon Rolls with Vanilla Icing Big and flaky iced cinnamon rolls that are warm from the oven. Need I say more? Thankfully there are only five per package, which means reasonably-sized portions when shared with family.
2. Mandarin Orange Chicken Simply heat the battered chicken, add the mandarin orange sauce, and enjoy the flavors of Chinese takeout at home. This is one of Trader Joe’s most popular items, and my husband’s top pick.
3. Pulled Pork in Smoky BBQ Sauce Microwave the package of BBQ pulled pork for two minutes, and you are ready for pulled pork sandwiches, or BBQ pork tacos. Perfect for busy weeknights!
4. Battered Fish Nuggets These battered pieces of white fish are one of my son’s top Trader Joe’s picks. Be sure to heat them in the oven rather than the microwave to achieve optimal crispiness. They remind me of the fish half of an order of fish and chips that is ubiquitous at oceanfront eateries in the summer.
5. Caramelized Onion Dip With a base of sour cream, mayonnaise, and cream cheese, plus the rich flavor of caramelized onions, this dip is simply amazing. I almost always enjoy it with raw vegetables or pretzels so as not to invoke caloric overload. I am certain it would be wonderful with potato chips too.
6. Cookies Trader Joe’s is home to an amazing selection of cookies. Some of my personal favorites are the Dark Chocolate Covered Peppermint Joe Joe’s (seasonal availability), Sutter’s Formula Cookies (peanut butter chocolate chip), and Chunky Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cookies (heat and eat). Weight watchers take note: The cookie dough is portioned so that you can bake the cookies individually, if desired.
7. Fully Cooked Baby Back Pork Ribs This chilled rack of BBQ ribs is fully cooked and ready to eat. I recommend grilling or warming in the oven for a delectably easy weeknight meal.
8. Dark Chocolate Bars filled with Speculoos Cookie Spread These chocolate bars can typically be found up by the registers. They are filled with Trader Joe’s Cookie Butter, a delicious spread made from a gingerbread-like cookie. Speculoos Cookie Butter is also available by the jar, which would make my “everything in moderation” mantra extremely difficult to adhere to.
9. Flavored Nuts Some of my top picks are the Honey Roasted Macadamia Nuts, the Sea Salt & Turbinado Sugar Dark Chocolate Almonds, and the Dark Chocolate Cashew Brittle with Sea Salt (seasonal availability). All of these items are extremely calorie dense, so snack wisely.
10. Gingerbread House Kits (seasonal availability) This traditional German hexenhaus uses only natural ingredients, and was slightly less difficult to put together than the kit we usually use. Additionally, we thought the cute chalet design and the included people-shaped candies put this gingerbread kit a step above the rest. Whether you choose to indulge after creating is up to you.
What are your favorite treat foods from Trader Joe’s? Please share your finds in the comments box below.