The Houston, Texas area is home to some of the best fishing spots in America, ranging from trophy bass lakes to the saltwater hot spots of the Gulf Coast. If you’re looking for the best of the best, look no further.
- Lake Houston – Just a few minutes northeast of the city, lake Houston is one of the best catfish lakes in Texas, particularly for blue catfish. Fish with cut shad around bottom structure to fill your limit on 5- to 10-pound blue cats. Largemouth bass, bluegill, white bass and crappie are also available.
- Colorado River – The lower Colorado River from La Grange to the coast is broad, slow moving and perfect for drifting along in a canoe or kayak. Fly-fish for bluegill, cast plastic worms for bass or ply deep holes with smelly, natural baits for catfish.
- City Park Ponds – Several city parks throughout Houston include ponds and lakes stocked with all sorts of freshwater game fish, making them perfect destinations if you’re taking kids fishing, or if you don’t have time to stray too far from home. Highlights of the city park system include Eldridge Park Pond, Kitty Hollow Park Lake and Mary Jo Peckham Park Pond, which is stocked every two weeks with trout and catfish.
- Trinity Bay – Trinity Bay is an outstanding saltwater hot spot, with opportunities to catch redfish, speckled trout, croaker, flounder and drum. The area around the warm-water discharge at the Houston Lighting and Power Company’s Cedar Bayou generating station is great year-round.
- Lake Conroe – This enormous reservoir is about an hour north of Houston, but the drive is more than worth it. Lake Conroe is one of the best largemouth bass fishing lakes in Texas, and there are few places where you’re more likely to bag a 10-pounder. Great fishing is also available for bluegill, catfish and hybrid striped bass.
A current Texas fishing license is required to fish all waters in the Houston area. Freshwater and saltwater licenses are available at most bait and tackle shops throughout the city, and online through the Texas Parks and Wildlife website.