Although talking in hashtags has already been parodied many times on TV and social media sites, the idea doesn’t seem too far-fetched. With the immense popularity of Twitter, it’s not hard to imagine that someday people will be ending all their oral conversations with a hashtag.
But for now, let’s just keep ourselves busy thinking about what hashtags can do for us, not only for our social media lives, but also for our careers and businesses. In order to maximize Twitter and its benefits, it’s a must to learn how to make a trending topic in one of the world’s most popular social media platforms.
Here are some things that you need to know:
What’s a Hashtag? What does a trending topic mean?
A hashtag is a keyword or key phrase that starts with the symbol #. It refers to a topic in a tweet designed for easy categorization of tweets into threads. It helps Twitter users in their search for conversations that are interesting for them.
Trending topics are the most talked about topics in Twitter. To have a trending topic means that your hashtag is spreading like wildfire among other Twitter users. It means hundreds or thousands of users from all over the world are using your hashtag in their social media conversations. This is what makes it valuable for marketers. If you use a hashtag for your brand, product, cause or event, it’s easier to spread and disseminate information about it, and for your supporters to do the same.
Apart from knowing about the basic Twitter rules such as the do’s and don’t’s of hashtags, here are more tips on how to get a topic to trend in Twitter.
- Pick the right topic. Sounds like a no-brainer right? Still, you’ll be surprised at the number of people who fail to do this number one step. So first off, think of keywords that will be of great interest to the people you’d like to reach out to, and at the same time, are easy to remember and understand.
- Tweet away! The moment you’ve created your hashtag, don’t waste any more time and start tweeting about it. Use your own account to post a relevant tweet in which you can insert your hashtag.
- Just remember, even if you’ve managed to come up with a cool topic but your tweet doesn’t make sense, don’t expect your topic to go anywhere near the topic trending column. For example: Don’t wait ’til you’re retired before you start thinking about investing money #SaveTheEarthToday
- Tweet, tweet and tweet. Post your hashtag several times a day. Invite other people to retweet your post. You can also tag other people to encourage them to retweet your hashtag. And why not send direct messages or email your friends? If you have a good relationship with your contacts/followers, your topic will spread more quickly than you expect.
- Seek the right people. Related to the previous tip, it’s smart to choose individuals and groups who are likely to be interested in the topic you’re trying to promote. If you’re trying to spread a topic making the right money moves before turning 30, turn to the financially savvy 20somethings. If you’re promoting a shopping sale for your online store, seek for the shopaholics.
- Keep followers updated. It’s easier for a topic to trend if you make it a point to provide updates every now and then. Tweeting frequently is a must but be sure that your content is always useful, practical, relevant and up-to-date. This way, you won’t be flagged down as a spammer.
- Be clear. Ideally, a hashtag should not be more than three words. If it is, capitalize each word to make it easier for people to understand. It’s also a good idea to provide a succinct description of the hashtag to attract more followers.
It doesn’t take a genius to figure out how to have a trending topic in Twitter. All you need is basic knowledge of this social media site, and the sheer determination and patience to make it work for you.
More from this Contributor:
5 Best Laptops of 2014
Magical World of Studio Ghibli
Where are the earliest employees of a major tech company now? Microsoft