3 large boneless chicken breast
Liquid smoke (optional)
Smoked Paprika (optional)
1 Bacon strip (optional)
Salt and pepper
1) Pour a little water (about half a cup) into the bottom of a large saucepan.
2) Place the chicken breasts (thawed) into the pot.
3) Pour a tablespoon of liquid smoke or molasses over the chicken or sprinkle one teaspoon of smoked paprika into the saucepan. (As an alternative, fry one piece of bacon in the saucepan prior to adding the water. The bacon will render its fat and give a smokey flavor to the chicken.) Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
4) Bring the water to a boil at medium-high heat.
5) Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for one hour, checking occasionally.
6) After one hour take two forks and begin shredding the chicken. The chicken should be very tender by now. There should also be more water in the pot because the chicken will have let off some water.
7) When you finish shredding the chicken, stir so that the water soaks into the chicken. This water will have flavor that you want to soak into the meat.
8) Serve and top with your favorite barbecue sauce.