You can purchase Stevia made specifically for baking (see Truvia Baking Blend). Created by combining stevia with regular sugar, it allows a reduction of the overall calorie content of your baked goods by 75 percent! But there’s still enough sugar to get that well-baked brown color you look for when baking. Truvia Baking Blend measures 1/2:1 on quantity with sugar, so a half cup of Truvia = 1 cup of sugar. Give these recipes a try and see if you agree, you don’t need a lot of sugar to get a dessert to satisfy your sweet tooth!
Blueberry season is right around the corner.
Blueberry Peach Crumble Pie
- 5 cups combined fresh or frozen blueberries and peach slices
- 1 (9-inch) low-fat graham cracker crust
- 1 ⁄ 4 cup + 2 Tbsp Truvía ® Baking Blend
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1 ⁄ 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ⁄ 4 tsp grated lemon rind
- 1 (8 oz.) conntainer fat-free sour cream
- 1 ⁄ 4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 1 ⁄ 2 tsp Truvía ® Baking Blend
- 1 tsp I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter Light, melted
Preheat oven to 375 ° F. Wash blueberries and pick out stems. Place berries and peaches in crust and set aside. Combine 1/4 cup + 2 TB Truvia, flour, vanilla, lemon rind, and sour cream and spread over fruit.
Make crumb topping by combining breadcrumbs, remaining Truvia and I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter by cutting into it with a fork. Sprinkle over sour cream topped fruit. Bake at 375 ° F for 40 minutes or until set and crumbs are lightly browned. Cool 1 hour on a wire rack.
Doesn’t everyone love fudge?
Cranberry Cashew Fudge
- 1 cup Truvía Baking Blend
- 3 ⁄ 4 cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread
- 1 can (5 oz.) fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow crème
- 3/4 cup chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup of craisins
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Bring Truvía ® Baking Blend, butter and milk to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stirring continuously, heat until soft ball stage (10 – 15 minutes). Watch carefully and do not overheat. Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips, then marshmallow crème. Add cashews and craisins and pour into an 8″ x 8″ foil pan. Cut into 1″ x 1″ pieces. You can make this one even lower calorie by using Earth Balance Buttery Spread instead of butter!
Refresh with Lime this Summer
Cool Lime Bars
For the crust:
2/3 Cup Earth Balance Buttery Spread
1/3 cup Truvia Baking Blend
1 cup flour
1/2 cup crushed low fat graham crackers
1/4 tsp salt
For the filling:
3/4 cup Truvia Baking Blend
1 TB flour
1 1/2 tsp grated lime peel
1/4 cup lime juice
Heat oven to 350 ° F.
For the crust:
- Beat Earth Balance and Truvía ® Baking Blend in medium bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until fluffy.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat until dough forms. Press into bottom of 9-inch square baking pan. Bake 20 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack.
For the filling:
- Whisk eggs until blended. Add Truvia Baking Blend, flour and lime peel until blended then add lime juice and whisk until combined. Pour over cool crust. Bake 25 minutes or until just set in center. Cool completely on wire rack. For best results, refrigerate for at least 2 hours prior to serving.
Garnish with candied violets or fresh raspberries for a pop of color, or candied lime peels (adds additional sugar).
Learning to cook with sugar alternatives is a healthy idea. Other alternatives include agave syrup, maple syrup,
Other Dessert Recipes from Madeline Anderson-Balmer
Gluten Free Desserts