Have plans to sip a few green beers and join in some Irish sing-a-longs at your favorite pub this St. Patrick’s Day? Dress up for the occasion with flirty eye makeup. What a great excuse for wearing a bold and gorgeous color-green! In my role as professional makeup artist, I get to dress many pairs of eyes on festive holidays like St. Patty’s. If you’d like to give it a try, but aren’t sure how to wear green eye makeup, start with these suggestions.
Green Winged Eyeshadow
When you want to wear green but don’t want to cover the entire lid with this bright color, a winged eyeshadow style is ideal! Follow these steps for a demure but noticeable St. Patrick’s Day eye makeup style.
- Apply foundation to the eyelid to create a smooth tone.
- Press a damp sponge tipped applicator into the green eyeshadow. (I like one that has a little shimmer for this look.)
- Line the top of the lashes with green eyeshadow, extending the color past the edge of the eye about ½ inch.
- Sweep a line of gold eyeshadow above the green one.
- Line the top lashes with dark green eyeliner then smudge the liner and shadow together.
- Finish with mascara!
Green Smoky Eye
This St. Patrick’s Day eye makeup application is a little more complicated but it ends with a beautiful look. You’ll need three different eyeshadows, black or dark green, medium green with some shimmer and a highlighter like a sand or yogurt shade for contrast. You will also need a black eyeliner and mascara too.
- Apply the black or dark green eyeshadow to the lower lid. Dab on the dark color under the eye too. You want to encircle the eye with this dark shade.
- Next, apply the green color above the dark eyeshadow but stop below the brow bone.
- Blend the two shades with a soft-tipped eye makeup brush. Blending is crucial for a pretty green smoky eye.
- Apply highlighter under the eyebrow but go light. You want just enough to accent the brow bone. Blend the highlighter with the green eyeshadow where they meet.
- Line your eyes with black or dark green eyeliner. Use a rubber tipped eyeliner tool to smudge the liner into the shadow.
- Touch the lashes with the first coat of mascara. Allow the coat to dry then apply a second one.
Wear green eye makeup proudly on St. Patrick’s Day and avoid getting pinched!