When it comes to St. Patrick’s Day celebrations, everything is supposedly turn into color green. From green costumes to green eye makeup and also green color in food. We try to make food which has green color in it. The famous Irish drink, Green Beer is served on this day.
We all know, St. Patrick brought Christianity in the Ireland in 17th century and we celebrate this day as his death anniversary. Children look for the four leaf clover which represents faith, hope, love and happiness. In today’s post, I am going to share some dessert delight happiness which you can make easily for this day in the desserts. The recipe is called Green Peppermint Chocolate Pie. We all know mint and chocolate blends really amazingly and give the dish an extra edge or kick.
To begin with, if you are throwing a party at your place on this day; don’t forget to add finger foods in the menu as it is easy to make and serve. Plus guests and invitees really enjoy these with drinks. Serve it with your favorite dip recipes like guacamole dip, hot spinach dip, yogurt spinach dip etc. which is naturally green in color and maintain the party flavors.
Nevertheless, let’s begin with Green Peppermint Chocolate Pie. To attain the green color, I am using edible green food color and for peppermint flavor you can use either peppermint oil or peppermint extract. For the pie crust, you can buy the crust available in the market or you can bake fresh one for this recipe. Let’s not waste time and start making this wonderful festive recipe –
Let’s begin with base or pie crust. I am using the most easiest method for crust by making it with digestive biscuits –
This recipe serves up to 8 servings
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- 125g finely ground digestive biscuit crumbs
- 5 tablespoons caster sugar
- 2 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 85g butter, melted
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Now mix biscuit crumbs, flour, sugar, melted butter and cinnamon until well blended. Press mixture into a 20 or 23cm (8 or 9 in) tart tin or pie dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 7 minutes.
Once the pie crust is ready; keep it aside and let’s prepare the chocolate pudding part. For this you need the following –
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon of all-purpose flour
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup of cocoa powder
- 1 cup of sugar + 2 tablespoon separated
- 2 cups of milk
- 3 eggs (separated)
- 2 tablespoon of butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Green food color
- Peppermint oil, few drops
- Mix all the above ingredients, except butter and vanilla in a saucepan at medium heat. In this mixture add yolk part of the egg. Once it starts getting thick, add butter and vanilla.
- Now pour this mixture into the pie crust, we have made already.
- Now get back to the egg white which is kept at room temperature. Beat them completely into a fluffy white mixture which don’t fall even if you turn the bowl upside down. In this, fold 2 tablespoon of powdered sugar, green color and peppermint oil.
- Pour this mixture, over the chocolate pie and bake at preheated 350 degree F for couple of minutes in the oven i.e. when egg white turn little brown in color. It will take probably 10 minutes or so.
- Slice into pieces and serve
Happy St. Patrick’s Day. Bon Appetit!