You may think that a skincare routine should be the same year round, but I’m here to tell you that it isn’t so! Once the seasons start to change, our skincare should change as well–but only slightly.
The heat damages our skin (as you already know), so we need to make sure that our skincare routine doesn’t contribute to that damage. As a matter of fact, we need to try our best to protect our skin from warm weather damage.
1. Wash your face twice a day with a MILD cleanser. You don’t want to use anything for acne or wrinkles unless your skin is in severe condition. Using a mild cleanser is just enough to remove dirt and oil without making your skin dry.
2. Exfoliate your skin AT NIGHT twice a week (once a week if you have sensitive skin). If you can help it, try not to exfoliate your skin in the daytime during warm weather seasons. Why? Because exfoliated skin is more sensitive to the sun. Exfoliating at night is the best way to make sure you won’t get any heat damage to your face. But once the morning comes…
3. Moisturize your skin with a LIGHT moisturizer with SPF 15 or MORE. A light moisturizer is all you need since your skin will naturally produce more oil in the heat. But at night, moisturize with any cream of your choice. If you feel you need more moisture, night time is the best time to apply it since your face as just been cleansed, and you won’t be out in the heat producing more oil.
4. Carry around BLOTTING TISSUES to remove oil from you face during the day. This is especially a good idea if you are wearing makeup. Makeup combined with excess oil is not a good fit.
5. Use THIN LAYERS of makeup or opt for tinted moisturizers. If you must wear some makeup, dust on a light cover of powder, or a sheer cover of foundation. Don’t go too heavy on it. You can also use a tinted moisturizer, which is like a very sheer foundation. You get a bit of coverage, but you don’t get the heaviness and the clogged pores.