Squash comes in so many different varieties, but what better time to use Summer squash then in the summer. This recipe for Summer squash fritters pack a little bit of heat on them, but are great to be served as appetizers prior to cooking outside on the barbecue. This recipe will take no longer than 20 minutes and makes enough appetizers to comfortably serve at least four people. Here is an appetizer recipe that is so delicious you might just want to eat it for dinner too!
Required ingredients to serve 4 people:
– 4 Summer squash
– 2 tbsp. minced garlic
– 3 scallions (sliced)
– ½ cup nonfat Greek yogurt
– 2 eggs
– 2 jalapenos (sliced)
– 1 tbsp. lemon juice
– dash of salt and fresh ground pepper
– ¾ cup whole wheat flour
– 1 cup extra virgin oil olive
First, combine squash, garlic, jalapenos, scallions, yogurt, lemon juice, and dash of salt and pepper into bowl. Mix together, then mix in flour. Next take a baking sheet and on top place paper towel to line it. Next, heat a large pan with a coating of oil olive and take about a 2 tablespoon portion or the squash mixture and place them in the oil. They should form about 3-inch portions so make sure to leave enough room when cooking. Cook on a medium heat and flip one time at about the 3 minute mark. Take the portions and move them to the lined baking sheet to let them drain, and serve once excess has drained from them!
1. The Summer squash is a yellow squash that is on the smaller side. Make sure to get the largest ones possible and shred them for this recipe.
2. Jalapenos are spicy so make sure to slice them very thinly and make sure to wash hands after slicing.
3. If nonfat yogurt is not available, just make sure to get plain yogurt.
4. Lemon wedges are great to serve with these to cut the heat of the jalapenos.
5. If whole wheat flour is not an option, go with all-purpose flour.