Bagels have been mentioned in various food venues as a trending food item. It is difficult for me to fathom how a food product that has existed so long is suddenly trending. The bagel has been a breakfast and snack staple since 1946.
Homemade bagels are fun because you can experiment with your favorite flavors. My spicy bagel is easy to bake and a different approach to the trending traditional.
2 teaspoons of active dry yeast
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 cup of warm water
3 ½ cups (500g) of bread flour or high gluten flour
1-½ teaspoons of salt
1 tablespoon of cracked pepper flecks
1 teaspoon of tobacco sauce
1.In half a cup of water place the sugar and yeast. Mix thoroughly.
2. Mix the flour, pepper, Tabasco, and salt in container. Form a hole in the center and pour in the yeast and sugar liquid.
3. Pour half of the remaining warm water mix. Knead until tight.
4. Flour a space, and knead the dough for about 15 minutes until it is elastic. Try melding in as much flour as possible as slowly as possible to create stiff dough.
5. Gently brush a large container with olive oil and turn the dough to coat completely. Cover the bowl with a damp dishcloth. Rise in a warm place for one hour, until the dough has doubled in size. Punch the dough down, and let it rest for another 20 minutes.
Forming the Bagels and Baking
1. Divide the dough into 8-10 sections. Gently roll and form an equal amount of golf ball sized dough balls.
2. Preheat the oven to 425˚
3. Make the center hole on the dough while the oven is preheating. On your floured area, push your finger into the center and carefully and slowly create a slit in the dough and then fold that center dough area into the outside portion. My holes are always a bit crooked. The longer you mold, the prettier and more symmetrical the hole. Cover the bagels with a damp warm cloth for about ten minutes.
4. At this point put a pot of three cups of water on to boil. Using a spatula gently immerse your bagels. Let them boil for about 15 minutes.
5. Then remove your bagels and ready them to bake and brown. You can add toppings if you want.
6. Put your boiled bagels on a lightly greased baking sheet at cook at 425˚ for twenty minutes.
Then sit back and enjoy your spiced bagel. I use butter on my bagel, but I will leave that choice to you!