Relocating from one place to another can be a real task. If you do not organize your things properly right from the start, the entire place is bound to look congested and disorganized. Below are a list of things you should do while you’re packing and storing your belongings.
1. First discard all the things that you do not need – Once you’ve decided to move your belongings to a storage unit, the first thing you need to do is sort things out. Be aware of what you need and what you don’t. This will help you to keep things sorted optimally.
2. Store your things in a logical way – Keep the large furniture and bigger things in the storage unit. The smaller things ought to be placed in boxes and above the large furniture. In this way, your goods will remain safe and untouched.
3. Place the tall items sideways – Place all the tall items sideways so that you can generate more moving space and more area for storing things as well.
4. Fill up the wardrobe with boxes after delivery – This is one of the best things to do to save more space after the things have arrived in the storage unit. Get the wardrobe into the unit with nothing in it but fill it up with the smaller boxes soon after the delivery of all the goods.
5. Keep the most important items right at the entrance – If you know you’ll need some equipment after delivery, there’s no point storing it somewhere really inside the stack of boxes. Make sure you store the required equipment at the entrance so that you can access it easily when required.
6. Use naphthalene balls – You need to use these balls to keep your clothes, linen and blankets protected from moisture and infestation.
7. Do not store flammable items near your valuables – Flammable items such as gas cylinders need to be stored separately and not anywhere close to regular things or else there are chances of mishaps.
8. Use canvas sheets for covering furniture – All kinds of wooden furniture should be covered with canvas sheets to protect them from infestation and moisture.
9. Wrap and label fragile items carefully – You need to cover fragile items using bubble wrap. If you’ve kept them in a large box then fill the extra space in the box using tissue papers so that the items don’t move about inside the box. The main reason for breakage of delicate things is wrong kind of packaging. Also, you need to clearly label the boxes as fragile so that people handle them with extreme care while shifting them from one place to another.
10. Do not fit excess things in the boxes – Every box needs to be filled up optimally. Do not fit excess goods in the boxes since the latter can tear apart if you do so. Even porting the boxes from one place to another will become difficult if you overload them.
11. Dismantle bigger furniture – It is good if you dismantle big furniture as it’s very convenient to port it around that way. You can either dismantle it yourself or ask the packing boys to do it for you.
12. Keep the door of your fridge open – While lying in the storage unit there are full chances of your fridge getting infested with microbes. In order to maintain air circulation and keep the refrigerator free of moisture during storage, you need to keep its door open.
13. Tape the top as well as bottom of the boxes – You need to tape and label the top and bottom of the boxes for security, convenience and easier visibility.
14. Prepare an inventory sheet – You need to have a list with all the goods written so that you will know if an item is missing or is broken. Never rely on your memory as you are likely to forget the total number of things being ported to the new place.
15. Store large objects along the sides – It is good if you store the larger items along the sides of the room and the smaller objects in the middle and front areas. In this way, you can access your goods in a better way.
16. Electronic goods should be covered using bubble wrap – You need to wrap electronic items in bubble wrap to prevent movement and spoilage.
17. Place the heavier items in small boxes – This is done so that the things fit optimally in the boxes.
Keep the above tips in mind to have a better experience while moving to a new place.