No matter what your skin type may be, the change of the season may have taken its toll on your complexion. If breakouts, ruddy-looking skin, or an uneven skin tone are some of your major skin problems this season, treat your skin to an exfoliation regimen and follow up with a good moisturizer. Exfoliating your skin regularly will help you maintain a radiant glow through the spring season.
Here are six skin exfoliation tips for the spring months:
1. Use a buffing brush once a day. Buffing your skin with a facial brush will help to remove the dead layer of skin cells without damaging the skin. Just make sure to use gentle pressure and small, circular motions as you guide the brush over your skin. I prefer to use a brush at night to prepare my skin for toner and moisturizer while I sleep.
2. Try a scrub. A facial scrub can help to break down the top layer of skin and buff away dead skin. Look for a scrub made with fruit acids, jojoba beads, and moisturizing ingredients for smooth skin. Make sure you’re using a scrub that complements your skin type or you could end up triggering breakouts and other skin problems.
3. Cleanse with a facial cloth or sponge. Using a soft facial cloth or a facial sponge while cleansing can help you maintain beautiful, glowing skin this spring. Get into a routine of using a facial cloth or sponge with your cleanser and use light circular motions to deep-clean your skin day and night.
4. Get a peel. Chemical peels can be a great addition to your seasonal skincare regimen. Chemical peels made with salicylic acid are good for treating acne-prone skin while peels made with alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) will break down the top layer of skin and help to even out your skin tone. It’s best to get chemical peels at a spa because the aesthetician can control the concentration of peel solution applied to your skin and reduce the risk of burns. Look for a spa in your area that offers packages of peels so that you can get a series of treatments that will bring out your radiant glow.
5. Try a glycolic acid cleanser. Glycolic acid is one of the gentler exfoliating acids available over the counter and you can use a facial cleanser with glycolic acid to exfoliate the skin gradually. Look for cream cleansers with this acid and hydrating ingredients to brighten and smooth out the skin.
6. Always follow up with moisturizer and sunscreen. Getting rid of that top layer of skin means you are exposing the fresh layer of skin underneath. You’ll want to protect this layer of skin with plenty of moisturizer and sunscreen. If you plan on being in the sun, make sure to reapply sunscreen throughout the day.