I shook my head as I fished my son’s cell phone out of the washing machine. He had left it in his pants… again. As I filled a sandwich bag with rice and inserted the phone, I knew that my son could not wait 2 to 3 days for it be usable. I then ransacked my closet for silica gel desiccant packets which I also inserted into the bag. The phone was usable again in 24 hours and lasted until the next phone was purchased.
Silica gel desiccant packets are found in shoes boxes, some food items, medicine and vitamin bottles, and electronics packaging. You may recognize the little packets that typically says “silica gel. do not eat, throw away”. Don’t throw them away. Put them in a jar and hold on to them. There are many, very important uses for these silica gel desiccant packs and you will want to keep them handy.
Additional uses for silica gel desiccant packs:
- Place them in the toolbox for prevention of rust and oxidation.
- Place them in you good silverware box to slow down tarnishing.
- Tape them to the insides of the laundry basket to help control mildew.
- Toss a few in your camera bag to keep your lenses from fogging
- Put them in a container with razor blades to prevent rusting.
- Tape inside the lid of dried herbs to keep them longer.
- Keep some in your gym bag to prevent odor causing bacteria from growing.
- Mix them with potpourri and add essential oils for a natural air freshener.
- Pack them in all your storage boxes, especially collectibles, to keep items from becoming moldy.
- Place them inside of your stinky shoes to decrease smelly bacteria and freshen them.
Basically, silica gel desiccant packs are ideal for any item you want to keep dry to dry out. Remember to keep your silica packs away from pets as it can cause stomach upset. Change these packs out as you acquire new ones as they will lose effectiveness. You also can refresh them by baking them in an oven to dry them out. Make your own packs with cloth wedding favor bags desiccant pellets you can purchase in bulk online.