Some actors and celebrities love to surf. Gerard Butler comes to mind – he was involved in a surfing incident in 2011 when filming a movie in Northern California. He might have had better luck if he had filmed the scene at one of San Diego’s family-friendly beaches – the surfing there is great but benign. Here are a few of the San Diego beaches favored by California’s acting community:
- Cardiff State Beach: A well-kept secret among the cognoscenti, the beach at Cardiff-by-the-Sea is a local favorite that offers convenient parking right next to the beach. This alone is responsible for much of the demand for real estate in Cardiff. Many local surfing celebrities hang out at this beach, so bring your camera!
- Del Mar 15th Street: Many people’s favorite beach. Get there early if you want to park right across the street. An adjacent grassy section is great for picnics and makes a nice playground for kids who like to build sandcastles. The waves there are medium-sized.
- Coronado Island: The island hosts the Hotel Del Coronado as well as Silver Strand State Beach. A wonderful place for surfing and frolicking in the water. If you’d prefer to stay dry, bring a kite to take advantage of the brisk winds, or a book for some lazy beach reading. There are even ten miles of bike trails to explore.
- La Jolla Shores: Beginning surfers will enjoy the gentler waves here, and many kids come here for their first surfing lessons. Parking is tight on the weekends because whole families like to stay the day and let loose in the local playground. At nearby La Jolla Cove, you can enjoy the adventure of kayaking or snorkeling. And if you like to view the sea lions, stop by the La Jolla Children’s Pool.
- Moonlight Beach: In addition to surfing, volley ball reigns supreme at this beach. A concession stand will keep you well-fed, and there is a playground for the kids.
- Camp Pendleton: Two beaches are located here, Del Mar Beach and San Onofre. These beaches offer lifeguards on duty, cabanas and a playground. The parking is easy and the surfing is great.
Whichever beach you choose, don’t forget your sunblock – you can get a wicked burn if you are not mindful. Most beach parking requires payment, so bring a few dollars with you. And don’t forget to keep your eyes open for celebrity surfers – they are hard to miss!