Recycling is not work if you condition yourself to do it right. The United States is still very wasteful compared to other countries. I live in an apartment building and it is sad to see that people cannot even follow directions. The directions are plain as day on the dumpsters and people still ignore them. People move and they are too lazy to bring the things they do not want any more to donate to St. Vincent DePaul, Manna for Life or the Good Will. This article is written as a guide to help you condition yourself to want to recycle.
Before I can guide you to recycle I think I should define what recycling is. Recycling is taking used materials to make new products to prevent wasting useful materials. A new product that has not been recycled is called a virgin product. Recycling is taking virgin products and making new products that make virgin products useful again.
I love to recycle. I know that I am doing something that can help someone else in the future. When we recycle we extend the life of the resources on the planet. We reduce pollution, litter, landfill space and disposal cost.
Tips on What Can Be Recycled
• Paper Products: loose leaf paper, notebooks, newspapers, magazines, boxes, shoe boxes, cardboard, cereal boxes, greeting cards, paper bags, gift bags, cook books and phone books.
• Cardboard cylinders: toilet paper and paper toweling holders.
• Glass: bottles and containers.
• Plastic: bottles and containers.
• Aluminum cans.
• Steel (tin) cans.
• Beverage containers: aluminum, glass and milk bottles.
• Organic materials: yard debris and food scraps.
• CDs and DVDS (class 7 plastic): it takes 1 pound of plastic to make 30 CDs.
• Cell phones: donate to shelters so police can set them up to use for 911 calls.
• Clothes or textiles: donate to shelters or thrift stores.
• Electronics: bring to Best Buy to clean recycle. Best Buy removes the parts with ink that do not recycle.
• Plastic bags: bring your good and ripped bags to the store so they can make new plastic bags.
• Car batteries: take to an auto recycling center.
What Can Be Recycled?
Recycling is not going to go away. Space is running out in our landfills so please recycle. We save energy when we make new products out of recycled materials. Our landfills are producing unknown gases and chemicals. Tax payers are paying $500 million dollars every year to pick up liter.
10 Fast Facts on Recycling.