The typical hamburger can really not be the best for anyone waistline. This is a recipe that will have you saying yum without the extra calories and fat. A great way to enhance any meat dish is to stuff it with some healthy options and spinach fits nicely. Quinoa is also a great protein to help fill you up and cut calories. Here is a recipe to cut out the extra calories but still keeping the taste in these great spinach stuffed hamburgers with quinoa.
– 1 lb. extra lean hamburger
– 2 medium to large eggs
– 1 tsp. garlic powder
– 1/4 cup of cooked and cooled quinoa
– 2 tsp. minced garlic
– 1 package package frozen chopped spinach (8 to 10 ounce)
– 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
– 1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
– 6 to 8 Whole wheat hamburger buns
– 1/2 cup low fat mozzarella cheese
– 1/2 cup of Greek nonfat yogurt
In a bowl mix eggs, 1/3 of the package of spinach, quinoa, kosher salt, ground pepper, garlic powder and minced garlic until it is all blended. Next, add hamburger to mixture and massage with hands until blended. In a different bowl mix the left over spinach, mozzarella cheese and Greek nonfat yogurt. Next form a two thin hamburgers and lay side-by-side. Take one of those thin hamburger patties and with a spoon press down in the middle. This should give you a place to put the spinach mixture. Take the mixture and spoon onto thin hamburger. Take the additional hamburger and cover the other hamburger with the mixture on top. Take a fork and gently mold around the edges to seal mixture inside. Repeat until all hamburger mixture is used. Place hamburgers in a sauce pan and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes or until cooked to desire. Carefully flip midway through. Place on bun with desired toppings.
1. Spray sauce pan with nonstick spray prior to placing hamburgers in pan.
2. Make sure to have lettuce, tomatoes, onion on hand for toppings of burgers.
3. If cooking on barbecue make sure that all the stuffing is secure with fork and be gentle when flipping.
4. To cook the quinoa start with a medium saucepan, cook the quinoa in boiling water for approximately 10 minutes. Let cool before putting in mixture.
5. It is recommended to dry out frozen spinach before using in recipe.
6. Trying different cheeses in the center can but fun, use what you have if nonfat mozzarella isn’t in the fridge.
7. Try toasting the bun in the oven or on the barbecue they are always better toasted.
8. Cooking should be fun so don’t worry if the measurements aren’t exact just enjoy the experience!