Pasta is one of the most amazingly delicious foods and it’s especially wonderful because it lends itself to a quick, easy meal for one, a family of four, or a giant party. Here are three fast recipes that you can make ahead of time if you’re a meal planner or you can throw together at a moment’s notice if you need a night off from heavy cooking.
Classic Pasta Sauce
- 1.25 lbs ground meat (turkey or beef)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- one jar red pasta sauce of your choice
- one small container mushrooms
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled (baby carrots work well)
- 1-2 medium zucchini (to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 medium onion (red, white, or sweet all work well)
- Note: for food allergies or preferences, any of the veggies above can be substituted or eliminated
- In a large pot, lightly brown your ground meat with olive oil. Cook until most of the meat is lightly browned.
- Wash and dice all veggies to a size you like (our family likes them minced very small, but chunky veggies are delicious, too!).
- Add veggies into your lightly browned meat. Allow to cook on a low temperature of 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add jar of pause sauce. Allow sauce to come to a low boil. For a thicker sauce, turn down heat after reaching a low boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Remove cause from heat and serve with pasta of your choice. Thicker sauces also work well on top of hamburger buns as sloppy joes!
Serving size: 4-6 people
- one jar red sauce of your choice
- one jar alfredo sauce.
- Note: the alfredo sauce can make this orange sauce very salty. For a less salty version, use less alfreao sauce; a good ratio would be 1 jar of red sauce to half a jar of alfredo sauce.
- In a medium sauce pan, mix red sauce and alfredo sauce. Heat until bubbly.
- Serve on pasta of your choice.
Serving size: 2 jars serves 6-8 people
Olive Oil Sauce
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- Puree your garlic using a food processor. If you don’t have a food processor, mince it as finely as possible.
- In a sealed container (a mason jar works wonderfully) or salad dressing mixer, add olive oil, garlic, red pepper flakes, and salt. Close and shake vigorously.
- Pour desired amount of mixture on top of pasta of your choice. Can also be used on salads in lieu of dressing.