Whether you’re coming in or waking up hungry, sometimes you just need something quick and easy to fill you up. Late-night snacks are a particular challenge for the gluten-sensitive, as so much gluten-free food requires complicated preparation. Here are three snacks, from light to heavy, that will satisfy your late-night cravings with minimal fuss.
Yogurt Plus Protein
When all you need is a light snack that’s filling enough to see you through until morning, try adding 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds, rolled oats, chia or flax seeds to a flavored yogurt. The extra protein and fiber fills you up without feeling heavy on the stomach.
Use a softer lettuce, such as butter or boston, or cut the spine from a larger romaine leaf and use each side separately. The quickest wraps will use leftovers from your fridge, but if you’re willing to do some cooking, you can put together something particularly tasty:
- Turkey or Chicken and Avocado Wrap: You can use lunchmeat for a quicker fix, but a frozen chicken tenderloin cooks up in under 15 minutes. Throw on some salsa or chutney for more flavor.
- Asian Chicken Wrap: Combine a tablespoon each of soy sauce, sesame oil, and brown sugar with a teaspoon each dried ginger and rice vinegar. Add some chopped chives or green onions if you have them. Toss diced cook chicken in the mix and enjoy.
- Taco Wrap: Warm some refried beans in the microwave and combine with cheese, sour cream, and salsa for a quick and easy vegetarian wrap.
These should be a staple in every gluten-free household, because anything that can be served on a pizza crust or pasta can be made into a hot and crispy tostada in minutes. Simply cook under the broiler for 3 minutes or in a toaster oven until hot, and then top with cooler ingredients such as sour cream or chopped vegetables. This is another great way to use up leftovers.
- Classic Bean and Cheese Tostada: Spread refried beans and shredded cheese on the tostada. Cook, then top with sour cream, salsa, and veggies.
- Lasagna Tostada: Spread tostada with a thin layer of tomato paste. Add a thicker layer of ricotta cheese. Finish with slices of sausage or pepperoni, then toast.
- Crab Rangoon Tostada: Mix canned crab meat with cream cheese, chives, and black pepper. Spread on tostada and toast until bubbly.