First of all I would never sign a prenup because it is not fair and it is not right. My feelings are that if a man or woman ask you to sign a prenup they are not sure if the marriage would last, their not really in love with you, and they plan on cheating on you and replacing you with someone they think is better. You spend all your life with a person and sometimes end up helping the person gain the financial stability they have and then they want to leave you out and spend it on the next person; that’s just wrong. Although I think the cons out weigh the pros but here are some pros and cons to signing a prenuptial agreement.
- If your spouse creates debt while married to you, you can put it in the prenup that you are not liable for the debt or you will only pay a certain amount of the debt.
- If you have property, you can determine who gets what or any rights to the property.
- Reduce conflicts and save money if you divorce.
- Clarify special agreements between you and your spouse.
- Most states don’t allow certain issues to be resolved through a prenup, like child support. Child support would have to be resolved through the court.
- Leaves the couple open to the possibility of separation or divorce.
- If done too early in the relationship, like in the engagement stage or before the engagement it shows the partner that they cannot be trusted. No time is a good time to present a prenup. It is not romantic in the tiniest bit. A postnup should be considered in this case.
- State laws may support you without you having to go through getting a prenuptial agreement; so check with your state laws before you create a prenup.
Why couples get prenuptial agreements?
- If they own property or real estate.
- Have a lot of money; millionaires and billionaires.
- Has children from a previous marriage; protecting their inheritances.
- Will be supporting the family through critical periods.
- A cheaper and faster divorce.
- Can leave a marriage that has gone bad. If they had a previously bad marriage they will most likely want a prenup to protect their future assets.
Bottom line for me is if a man has to ask me to sign a prenup then I think he has other intentions and I would not be so keen on marrying him. If I love the guy, well then I’ll be caught in a dilemma but I’ll be smart and get as much as I can during the marriage and then make him sign some papers saying that he don’t want any of my assets and property. I’ll also be making money on the side, that he knows nothing about, just in case in don’t sign the papers for me.
I think that a marriage should be based on trust and if you can’t trust each other then you shouldn’t get married. A prenup means to me a sure fire way to a divorce because the marriage wouldn’t last long and marriage and love should be forever. If ain’t forever then it ain’t for me.
To read more on the subject check out the sources below: