Spring is Green and Green is clean. That should be a new slogan for somebody. Slogans work pretty well, especially if they have a bit of zing behind them. So the chosen word is “Green” and yes we’re talking about the Clean, Energy Efficient, Non-Polluted, Environment Green.. not the color. So the question is how clean, or perhaps how Green are you?l I can tell you how Green you are based on points earned after answering the following questions. Add your points received after answering each question, if your answers don’t match yes or no to any of the following questions then you receive 0 points. Like in golf, the less amount of points you obtain the Greener you are.
- Do you leave the water running while brushing teeth? YES = 2 points
-YOU DO, not any more; stop it, it’s not needed.
- Do you take showers that last longer than 15 minutes? YES = 4 points
-UNLESS you’ve been working out in the coal fields is 15 minutes really needed, that’s water that could have been drank instead.
- Do you use city water for watering your lawn? YES = 5 points
-MOST cities these days have amended this code enforcement law, making it illegal to use city water for lawn watering. Make sure to check your cities regulations so your not liable for any fines. If you are using city water for lawn irrigation then please try limiting the scheduled times of use. If at all possible then please consider switching from city to either a reclaimed water service or pumped water from a water drainage reservoir or lake. Ground water is still part of the drinking water system so please limit from use of that as well.
- Do you leave water running while hand cleaning dishes? YES = 3 points
-YOU ANSWERED YES. It isn’t needed, although it feel mores sanitary it really isn’t. turn the water on and off as needed.. common sense people common sense.
- Do you flush every time you use the restroom? YES = 1 point
-BET YOU SAID IT MORE like “HELL YES!” Okay I understand completely, but just think of how much water you would save if all you did was flush after a number two or once the lemonade goes sour.
- Do you recycle? NO = 5 points
-IF YOU ANSWERED NO then shame on you. Recycling these days is simple, especially when everything made is pretty much recyclable.
- Do you recycle everything? NO = 1 point
-OKAY SO yeah recycling everything is not as easy as it sounds but it can be done if you stay focused on making it a part of your everyday habits.
- Do you burn trash? YES = 2 points
-IF YES.. Then please don’t. You have no clue what’s being released into the air while you burn your chemical filled trash.
- Do you dispose of harmful materials properly ? (batteries, paint, chemicals) NO = 4 points
-SO THIS ONE SEEMS a bit ruff in the scoring zone but reality hurts and the truth is that batteries, paint, and other chemicals are very toxic as they decay, even in landfills. They represent a growing amount of environmental issues that can only be controlled through being properly disposed of. Many schools have on site recycling bins for small everyday batteries while most cities recycling centers offer free drive up drop off locations to dispose of personally used paints, chemicals, car batteries, sometimes tires and even demoed cement which also are hazardous to the environment.
- Do you litter? YES = 3 points
-IF YOU answered yes then once again shame on you, you are sharing this land with millions and billions of other human beings. Please stop trashing up the place and causing danger to wild animals, plants, and beautiful landscapes.
- Do you tend to leave every light on in the house? YES = 4 points
-IF YES THEN obviously you’re afraid of the dark or you just love throwing money out the door. Either way, try to REMEMBER.
- Do you keep your A/C under 75 degrees during the summer and over 75 degrees during winter? YES = 5 points
-SO YOU ANSWERED YES and probably with a spit fire look in your eye, you wont have it any other way right??? Well did you know that changing those degrees by just a few, say A/C set at 78 degrees during summer and heat turn to 72 during winter will save you a ton of money, making it a lot easier to adjust to the temperature while leaving your bank roll a bit bigger year round.
- Do you take very hot and long showers over 15 minutes? YES = 3 points
-YES! Mmmm sounds nice, feels nice, however the amount it cost and the energy used to reheat the water in the tank isn’t nice at all. Natural gas water heaters help save a ton of money, see if that isn’t an option before selling out your shower time.
- Do you have ceiling fans installed? NO = 2 points
-YOU ANSWERED NO. Consider installing a fan in every room, they barely make a dent in the electric bill but are also efficient in keeping the house cool and tempered. Ceiling fans have a directional switch that turns the fan either to blow out or to draw up. Blowing cools the heated air by mixing it with the cooler dense air below while the drawing up direction (blowing opposite direction) draws the cooler air up to the heated air warming it and balancing the room temperature.
- Do you leave all of your electrical components on during non use times? YES = 1 point
-SO IT’S LATE and you just finished watching your TV shows. You power down the TV and off to bed you go. Just because the TV is off doesn’t mean everything else is, such as: cable box, DVD player, stereo system, Xbox even the television may be in standby mode which is still using power. If these items are in every room of every household then a lot of unused energy is being wasted.
GASOLINE / FOSSIL FUEL
- Do you drive a v-8? YES = 5 points
-YES! Okay then.. why? Aren’t you tired of paying a million dollars in gas each week while helping hike up the demand and being wasteful with your consumption of fossil fuels.. consider switching to a more fuel efficient car next time… Please.
- Do you keep your vehicles well maintenance? NO = 4 points
-NO YOU SAY, I KNOW BAD HABITS are hard to break and being neglectful to your car is so easy, but think of your ride as your baby. Your car needs to be treated well and taken care of, if you can manage the responsibilities then your vehicle will perform the way it should, which in so many ways is great for the environment, air, water, ground, and fuel cost.
- Do you drive the speed limits? NO = 1 point
-C’MON REALLY? Obey the law of the limits for the obvious reasons but also because balanced speeds and slower speeds reduce the use of gas and saves you money while lowering consumption rates.
- Do you car pool? NO = 3 points
-YOU ANSWERED NO. I Can’t blame you, I like my solidarity too.. but it really helps a lot environmentally and monetarily, so if you know people headed your way; then just go for it and share a ride.
- Do you leave your car running while having to wait in car for anything? YES = 2 points
-YOU DO. Okay I get it, cars get hot in the summer and in winter your freezing your butt off. I arrive to pick up my children 15 minutes before school lets out. Here in south Florida a car can get very steamy in no time at all, so leaving your engine running is needed to keep cool for sure. However, if you can tough it out and endure the uncomfortable, then please do. This task although difficult, can definitely be a Green clean force to be reckoned with.
- ( 0 – 15 ) = Mean Green Fighting Machine! Congrats, you’re worthy of a medal!
- ( 15 – 30 ) = Green Thumbs UP! Your efforts are noted and appreciated!
- ( 30 – 40 ) = Green Minded, you’re on the right track. Try harder, it matters!
- ( 40 – 60 ) = Missing Green. You look red from embarrassment. Rethink your environmental footprint!