As I was skimming through rows and rows of DIY ideas on Pinterest, I kept coming across this idea of a photograph clothesline. Since I have thousands of 4×6 prints floating around the house, I had been looking for a unique way to display them on my wall instead of hiding them away in photo books. For this reason, I was quickly sold on the idea of making my own photograph clothesline. It looked like a fairly simple project, required a minimal amount of materials, and had the potential to be a really cute decoration!
Creating My Own Photograph Clothesline
Since I had all the materials I needed around the house–clothespins, string, and photographs– I went straight to recreating the images I saw on Pinterest. First, I took hemp string (instead of clothesline) and tacked it across the top of my bedroom wall. Then, I evenly spaced out the clothespins all along the string. Finally, I put my favorite photographs between the clasps of each clothespin in a predetermined order. I then stepped back to look at my clothesline, rearranged some of the photos, and shifted some of the clothespins to make the spacing more precise. I did this until I was finally content with how the final product looked.
Realizing why this project was a fail
While I had originally thought that this DIY project was a success, I later found that I was wrong. After about a month, one of the photographs fell from the clothesline to the floor of my room. I picked up the picture to find that all four corners of the photo had curled. I then looked up to see that this had happened to all the photographs, giving the project a very sloppy look. After doing some research, I found that the humidity in the air caused this effect over time.
What I would do differently
When I went back and revisited the Pinterest images of this DIY project, I decided to take a close look at where I went wrong. I quickly found that all the images of photo clotheslines included either Polaroid photographs, or photographs of a higher quality and durability than the 4×6 photographs I had purchased from CVS. If I were to do this project from square one again, I would order stronger photographs that could withstand the humid air. Since I already had these photographs printed up, I decided to hot glue gun them to a white poster-board background. This trick allowed me to make the photographs more durable, while also giving them the classic look of a Polaroid border.