Growing up, I loved watching my parents cook. I tried to help out in the kitchen as much as possible and eventually, after years of watching them as well as the Food Network, the roles have reversed. Now, I do most of the cooking as my parents sit and watch me. Here I’ll share with you the best grilling tips I have learned over the years in hopes that it will make you the grill master you have always aspired to be.
1. Clean It I cannot stress the importance of cleaning and maintaining your grill. It is incredibly easy if you clean after each use, after it cools of course. Your grill will not function correctly if there is too much grease build up or if the grates are covered in marinade residue.
2. Preheat Make sure your grill has reached the desired temperature prior to placing the meat or vegetables on the grates. This helps ensure you know how long to cook your food and that it is cooked properly.
3. Know Cooking Times It’s crucial to know the differences between cooking times for different cuts of meat, different types of meat and different degrees of cooking. I promise you, grilling will be much easier if you know that your steak has to cook for twelve minutes instead of playing guessing games. In my family we each like our steak cooked to different degrees and once we narrowed down the exact timing for each our lives were instantly easier. We can now eat all eat a hot steak at the same time instead of me, the person who likes steak rare, either eating a cold steak or eating dinner by myself because my parents like theirs well done.
4. Stop Checking Constantly removing the lid on the grill and cutting into your meat isn’t helping anyone! All you are doing is letting the heat escape and the juices drain. You should only have to check your meat once, and then you should be able to judge how much longer it needs to cook.
5. Get Creative Don’t be afraid to try different things. Anyone can cook a burger or hot dog on the grill, but what about a pizza? Grilled pizza is one of my summer dinner staples. You can be creative with toppings and it is a great crowd-pleaser. But see what you can come up with that will wow your friends or family.
Now, get out there and start grilling!