One summer during a road trip, a nacho tried to kill me. An odd choice when considering favorite summer road trip stories, but oddly enough, it is one of my favorites. Enough time has passed that I can look back on it and laugh. In my life, I have yet to take many road trips, and the nacho incident happens to be the very first road trip I ever went on.
The outside didn’t hold much interest to me; I could barely see out the windows, and what I could see was bright blue sky and the side of a sheer plain cliff. Even if I could have seen out the windows, I honestly don’t think I would have cared. I was much more interested in the bag of chips being passed back and forth. I was about four years old, and being the smallest and youngest, was the lucky recipient of the middle backseat, situated between the other two older children of my mother’s friend. The two older kids were sharing the bag of cheesy deliciousness, which required that it frequently passed right in front of me. So, naturally, I wasn’t allowed to have any. Being as young as I was, my mother was concerned I would choke, especially since I was a speed eater. Stubbornness was a trademark of mine however, and eventually my mother conceded to letting me try some.
Four-year-old me took a bite and found the previously forbidden food to be heavenly. So heavenly in fact, that I somehow managed to cram a whole triangular chip in my mouth and then forgot to chew. All of a sudden I was choking. The car pulled over and suddenly I was on my mom’s lap, her thumping my back trying to help me cough up the obstruction. Sure enough, I choked out an entire nacho, still unbroken, onto my mom’s hand. She gave me some water to help soothe my throat and the chips were taken away from all of us kids. It was several years before I was allowed near nachos again.
While it was indeed an unpleasant experience as a young child, I can’t help but be amused by it now. I nearly brought about my own untimely demise because I couldn’t handle the crunchy goodness. Apparently there are some things that are just too good to chew.