The Heavyweight Champions of streaming digital entertainment, NetFlix and Amazon Prime are headed for a huge battle in this 15 round Title match. Even though Netflix has been doing it longer, I believe Amazon will eventually go past them like they were standing still waiting for the bus. They are a bit different in what they offer but that is changing as Amazon Prime gets the hang of developing this business model on top of everything else it is doing.
Pros, Cons and Cost
NetFlix Streaming Pros:
Free Trial for 30 days.
In-depth TV show listings.
60,000 movie titles.
Weekly Update of new content.
Self Production of TV series such as: House of Cards and Orange is the New Black.
Exclusive Marvel Television broadcasting contract for a 5 season deal for 4 Marvel Superheroes, comprising four 13 episodes seasons climaxing with a mini-series named The Defenders.
Connect with friends and family thru Facebook and share content watched
Parental controls limiting children.
Has option to include a DVD mail to home program at an additional cost.
giving another 100,000 titles to choose from.
Cost $7.99 per month or $95.88 yearly with a price increase coming for new subscribers.
NetFlix Streaming Cons:
Limited access to “new” releases.
Poor organization of content making for difficulty browsing.
Licensing contract expire and movies and TV shows just disappear without warning.
All information referenced from NetflixReview.com
Amazon Prime Instant Streaming Pros:
- FREE Two-Day Shipping on eligible items.
- Kindle Owners’ Lending 350,000 book Library access , 1 free book a month.
- Exclusive licensing with HBO Go, Comedy Central and Nickelodeon.
- Share your shipping benefits with up to 4 members in the same household.
- An unmeasurable amount of gas and time saved using the shipping option.
- Shop 10 to 20 times a year at Amazon Prime, spend under $25 each time, and need your shipment in less than a weeks time as reported by Adam Dachis in his article, Is Amazon Prime Worth It then it is worth the annual membership fee for that alone.
- On Demand Movies and Current season TV series option to pay per view
Amazon Prime Instant Streaming Cons:
- 40,000 title streaming library, 33% less than Netflix.
- No Facebook to share content.
- Poor organization of content.
- Poorly designed user interface.
- No Parental controls.
- Cost: $99 per year with no monthly plan, only upfront and no Paypal.
And we have a winner, it’s NetFlix by knockout in the 10th round to retain it’s Heavyweight title. Amazon Prime is really gonna have to get into the gym and add some titles to compete. The shipping is great but it’s a distraction designed to change the conversation from their major issue, lack of content. They have only 66% of the amount of programming of Netflix. Isn’t this about streaming digital media, not shipping toothpaste via UPS? My opinion is NetFlix is King of the Hill and a better value. Get Netflix and shop at Amazon making sure purchase totals higher than $25 for the free shipping. That shouldn’t be too difficult. But, watch for developments as this could change quickly as Amazon is gaining speed, strength and stamina.
Subscribe to Tom Reddy articles -make sure you click the subscribe button in the yellow box, you can unsubscribe at any time through any sent email and your email address will not be shared with anyone.
More content from this contributor:
- Donald Sterling and the Impact on the Constitution
- Four Cheap Brunch Deals Off the Las Vegas Strip
- The Five Greatest Athletes of the Last 10 Years