Look beautiful and healthy with these natural beauty tips using the best organic makeup products from top “Made in America” beauty brands. If you want to avoid all sorts of chemicals, metals, and other yucky stuff in standard makeup, go organic. Better yet, support eco-friendly U.S. manufacturing jobs too.
American Made Organic Makeup Brands
These award winning cosmetic companies are popular with greenie and mainstream beauty mavens alike.
- SUZANNE Organics Cosmetics Collection from actress and entertainer Suzanne Summers features skin nourishing certified organic ingredients, minerals, and vitamins. No artificial dyes, synthetic fragrances, lead, chemical binders, PEGs, parabens, or animal testing. Check out this long-time QVC mainstay’s TV schedule, Twitter, and Facebook feeds for special offers.
- Juice Beauty, based in northern California, offers juice based makeup containing certified organics instead of a water base. Anti-oxidant, anti-aging, and anti-blemish ingredients provide quality makeup without a long list of unacceptable ingredients. Sign up for its newsletter and follow on social media for special deals.
- Vapour Organic Beauty, located in Taos, New Mexico, also provides a waterless based makeup line. “Natural mineral pigments suspended in certified organic botanicals” replaces water for a moisturizing base. Check out its $15 sample kit offer (with a $10 off coupon) and social media links for specials and giveaways.
Top 10 Organic Makeup Must-Haves
Lipstick (Lead Free): SUZANNE Organics Sheer Satin Lipstick, $25
With the lead in lipstick controversy, SUZANNE Organics does the best job at making emphatic, clear statements of “No Lead” or “Lead Free” in its lipstick and other makeup products. The sheer color choices, currently in Honey Glow or Berry Pop, keep lips conditioned with just a touch of natural color.
Lip Liner (Lead Free): SUZANNE Organics Lip Liner, $17
Often brushed off as a hoax over the years, the lead in lipstick issue continues with the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics project. Get this lead free lip liner to accentuate your lip line and keep lipstick from running during application.
Tinted Day Cream SPF30: Juice Beauty Stem Cellular Tinted CC Cream, $39
With mineral-based SPF 30 protection, this best-selling tinted color correction (CC) cream is a great alternative to foundation when spending time outdoors whether gardening, jogging, or a day at the beach.
Foundation: Depends on your skin type
- Oily Acne-prone skin: Vapour Organic Atmosphere Soft Focus Foundation, $50
- Anti-aging: Vapour Organic Atmosphere Luminous Foundation, $50
- Normal to dry: Juice Beauty Perfecting Foundation, $35
Concealer: Match up with your foundation or tinted CC cream pick
Because of the unique formulations and tints that each organic makeup brand offers in foundation, it’s generally best to go with its’ recommended concealer.
Blush: SUZANNE Organics Natural Blushing Powder, $30
For a light touch of blush, highlight your cheeks with this natural looking blush powder. You’ll need a small kabuki or blending brush to apply.
Finishing Powder: Juice Beauty Refining Finishing Powder, $22
Set your foundation or CC cream with this loose powder for a natural looking, silky matte finish.
Eyeshadow: Juice Beauty Illuminating Eye Color, $12
Although eyeshadow isn’t necessary for an everyday makeup routine, a touch of natural looking eyeshadow can help to play up the focus on your eyes. If you have specific eye challenges like deep set or narrow eyes, try a two-tone application of lighter and darker shades to help balance your eyes with your overall facial features. Lightly wet the brush to make application easier and intensify the color.
Eyeliner: Juice Beauty Defining Eyeliner, $16
Although this is one I won’t use myself because I detest pencil eyeliners, this is the cheapest eyeliner available from the three brands – if you’re so inclined. (I so miss the old Maybelline cake eyeliner, but have to use a liquid version these days). Eyeliner in general is a must for those of us not blessed with naturally thick eyelashes. For the natural look, apply just the thinnest of lines along the base of your lashes.
Mascara: SUZANNE Organics Defining Mascara, $20
This great basic mascara works well for a natural look. But, if you wear contacts, have sensitive eyes, or want a fuller, thicker lash look — then you may want to go with one of the Physician’s Formula Organic Wear mascaras.
As confusing as “organic,” “natural,” and “pure” marketing labels can be on makeup products, get these top picks for your Made in America organic makeup bag.
More from this contributor:
5 Best Tips on How to Make Your Hair Grow Faster and Longer
Easy Spring Recipes Using the Chocolate Mint Herb
Beautiful Mother’s Day Gift Ideas for Gardening Moms