When we were forced to replace our old furnace earlier this year, my wife and I took as long as possible to shop around and do our research. And, by the time we finally pulled the trigger on a furnace, we were as informed as any customer probably could be.
Despite this, when the furnace was finally installed, we quickly learned we weren’t as prepared as we thought we were. The technicians were very friendly and helpful and made the process as painless as possible for us. However, despite all our research, there were three pretty big surprises that came with the installation.
First, it took much longer than we thought it would. I originally planned on taking a half day off from work because, mostly based on conversations I had with some salespeople, I honestly believed it wouldn’t take much longer than that. Needless to say, I was pretty surprised when the techs showed up at 8 a.m. and didn’t leave my house until after 4.
To be fair, they did an excellent job and, at no point, did I feel they were just screwing around. And, also to be fair, their salesperson wasn’t one of them that told me it would only take a half day. However, in hindsight, it probably would have been better to have gotten that clarified ahead of time.
Second, there was a lot more to it than just bringing in a new furnace and plugging it in. This actually probably shouldn’t have been that big of a surprise to me, especially since the new furnace was half the size of my old furnace and I knew they would have to adjust for that.
However, even when I took that into consideration, this ended up being more work than I expected. They had to add another intake location (I didn’t have enough in my house), build a simple frame so it was a little higher off the floor (to make it easier to get to the filter) and even run some updated wiring to the circuit breaker. This, of course, was a big part of the reason the install took so long.
Last, they needed access to more than just my furnace room. This wasn’t too big of a deal in the majority of the house but, as it turns out, one of the places they needed access to was the crawl space we refer to as our attic. And, as a result, we did have to move some stuff around so they could get up there since the trap door and ladder that lead to it are in our storage room. Had we known this would be the case, we would have done that ahead of time.
As I said before, the technicians were very friendly and did everything they could to make the new furnace installation less painful. But, had I known these things in advance, I think there would have been even less stress.