Cancer is very common on my mothers side of my family. My mother lost her five year battle with mantle cell lymphoma in 2006. Her sister is a breast cancer survivor and many more relatives on this side of my family have had cancer. For this reason I am concerned with cancer prevention and have been taking resveratrol for the past year. I continue to have positive results as I reported in my last article. Scientists are studding resveratrol use in cancer prevention and cancer treatment. Many resveratrol cancer studies have been completed and more are on going.
Resveratrol and Cancer Prevention
- Resveratrol is a potent antioxidant, which protects cells from free radicals that damage cells and cause cancer
- Resveratrol activates the enzyme AMPK, which kills cells that have extra chromosomes that lead to cancer
- Resveratrol reduces inflammation, which causes bad enzymes to form and cause tumors to develop
Resveratrol and Cancer Treatment
- Resveratrol can be stored in cells and then make cancer cells eat themselves, according to a recent study
- Resveratrol can help fight breast cancer by counteracting resistance to hormonal therapy
- Resveratrol can make melanoma cells more sensitive to radiation treatments
- Resveratrol helps chemotherapy drugs to not develop resistance and keep working longer
Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the US. In my opinion Resveratrol is a valuable substance in the fight against cancer. I would like to see more human studies One example: A double blind, long term, general population study. One group takes nothing, another a placebo, the third takes resveratrol. Cancer rates are counted over a one, two and five year span. Another example: A double blind study of general cancer patients of a similar time frame.
I will keep taking resveratrol in the future to prevent cancer. On my fathers side of the family there is no history of cancer. He died from the devastating effects of having two strokes. His brother also died from a stroke at only 64 years old. Both of them were heavy smokers. I don’t smoke. In the past I thought that my familiar risk from stroke would be very low. Now it is known that second hand and third hand smoke are also serious health risks for cancer, stroke and heart disease. I was heavily exposed for more than thirty years at home, and at work (I performed in many smoke filled bars, and I also owned a bar/restaurant before smoking was prohibited). I will focus on resveratrol and stroke and heart disease in my next article.