Life is a journey of experiences: bad and good ones shape us as individuals with the hope to make us wiser, better, and smarter.
I was a very active, curious, and tenacious-by-nature child, which very often resulted in injuries, aches and pains, and other unpleasant experiences like the poison ivy.
I was about eight or nine years old, playing with my friends in the woods, when I suddenly felt a strong burning and itching sensation after brushing with a harmlessly looking green plant. That plant happened to be poison ivy. As far as I remember I had a skin rash and no other symptoms, which lasted for a few days and was treated by my mom and grandma with topical medication, such as: Calamine lotion, Cortisone creams, and other natural remedies to soothe my discomfort. I learned very quickly how to avoid this “pest” in the future and memorized its distinct appearance.
Things to know about Poison ivy:
1) Poison ivy is not deadly, just unpleasant and irritating for the most part.
-It usually looks like a skin rash that is associated with severe itching and burning sensation.
-You won’t die from it.
-It usually goes away on its own within a few days, but to soothe the discomfort you might want to use Calamine lotion, Cortisone creams, baking soda, to name a few. If a severe allergic reaction happens, such as: the swollen face and tongue, contact your physician immediately.
2) Poison ivy has shiny, slightly rough to the touch green leaves with sharp edges, and a “hairy” vine, and usually grows in the wooded areas.
-If you see any plant that has a similar appearance, stay away from it as far as possible and wear long pants and long sleeved shirts in the woods to protect yourself.