This is my recipe for mocha frosted drop cookies. My grandmother would also make these with walnuts, but you can also exclude the walnuts from the recipe. They taste just as great without them too. I hope your family can enjoy this special cookie that my grandmother baked for me when I as young. Happy eating.
- 1/2 cup of shortening
- 2 ounces of unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of chopped up walnuts (optional)
- 6 ounces of semi sweet chocolate chips
- Mocha Frosting (see recipe below)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray your cookie sheet with a non stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt your shortening and unsweetened chocolate together in a saucepan.
- Let your mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat in your brown sugar, egg, vanilla extract and buttermilk.
- Beat for 3 minutes or until well combined.
- Stir in your nuts and semi sweet chocolate chips.
- Drop teaspoon sized cookie shapes onto your already prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Frost with Mocha frosting and enjoy.
MOCHA FROSTING RECIPE:
- 1/4 cup of butter
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons of instant coffee powder
- A dash of salt
- 2 1/2 cups of confectioners’ sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract.
- 1/3 cup of milk
- Cream your butter, cocoa powder, instant coffee powder and salt.
- Beat in your sugar, vanilla extract and milk until well combined.