Like many others, I was telling myself that I needed to lose weight and go on a diet, but being the procrastinator I am, I never started a good, healthy diet. I was at the doctor’s for a routine checkup when I learned that my blood pressure was through the roof! My doctor said that I needed to either take medication or go on a diet to get my blood pressure levels down, so I used this as an excuse to start my diet. When I first started my diet in December of last year I weighed 212 pounds. Since then I have lost over 20 pounds, weighing in at 188 pounds! I not only cut down my weight, but I also cut down my body fat.
I began to talk to a nutritionist about a good diet that would help bring down my blood pressure, as well as help me to lose weight. The diet that she recommended, and the one I still use today, was a 1,700 calorie per day diet. This isn’t a diet that cuts out foods, it is just one that limits food. The food I ate had to have low sugar, low carbohydrates, and most importantly, low fat. I used a health app recommended by my nutritionist to help track my calorie intake. I start off my day with a bowl of cereal and a fruit, along with a cup of coffee. For lunch I usually have a salad with some sort of protein in it. For dinner I try to cut out all red meats and fatty meats, and replace them with chicken and fish along with rice, vegetables, etc. This was a very difficult diet at first as I used to eat red meat quite often, but when you start to lose weight and fat, it really becomes worth it.
As far as exercise goes, I usually do 40-45 minutes of a cardio workout, three times a week. This can be a jog, walking on the treadmill, riding a bike, really anything that gets your heart pumping.
This diet really is great. I am extremely pleased with the wonderful results. Don’t get caught up in the exercise though, because that is only about 25 percent of weight loss while the other 75 percent is about eating healthy and avoiding fatty, sugary foods. I hope you learned a bit from my story and I wish you all the best of luck in losing weight!