If you are like me, you always gain unnecessary pounds during the holidays. Because we tend to be less active in the winter, those pounds just like to stick around a lot longer than anyone likes. I decided this year I would get rid of those 10 pounds in time for spring, and I did it the old fashioned way.
I did not do the fashionable South Beach diet, nor the all protein Atkins diet. I ate things that were less calories, more fiber, less junk food and I stepped and I walked.
When the weather was nice, I walked at least 20 minutes to a half an hour a day. When the weather was not nice, I used my little step up that I keep in my living room. I actually do step ups while watching TV. This way instead of sitting idle on the couch munching on junk food, I am up and moving while watching my favorite TV programs. I do this several times a day and I do at least 200 steps up each time.
I try not to eat anything past 8:00 p.m. and I drink Dieter’s Tea 4 times a week (you can buy it at Walmart in the tea section.) When you make this dieter tea, you make enough for two tea drinks at one time. You have this after dinner and it not only tastes good, it helps remove toxins from your body and it helps clean out your intestines which in turn helps to trim your waistline and take some pounds off.
When you lose weight, you don’t want to just take weight off but you want to make sure you maintain and build some muscle mass because that helps to keep you healthy.
It was not easy taking off 10 holiday pounds between January and February, especially when you are new to world of menopause and just looking at food adds a pound to your weight. It truly is not just a diet but some lifestyle changes that need to be made to maintain not only your current weight loss but to continue to lose additional weight.
Everybody I know wants to be able to look at least decent in a bathing suit. That is my next goal. I want to lose not only another ten pounds as those were just my holiday pounds but I also want to lose at least another 20 lbs that I consider myself to be overweight.
My goal is to lose those 20 pounds by Memorial Day weekend. In order to do that, I am going to have to drop my calorie intake from 1200 a day to 1000 a day and ramp up my walking and stepping.
Water is also key in all of this. I know everybody says that drinking water at least 8 times a day and many say in 8 oz quantities. I just could never drink that much water. I am someone who never was a water drinker. I try to drink at least 8 ounces of water 4 times a day.
That seems to be working for me and I will continue to do that for now. So let’s recap. To lose weight in time for summer, these are the things you need to do;
1. Don’t eat after 8:00 p.m.
2. Be more active whether that is walking for 20 minutes a day, going to the gym, dancing to your favorite music or doing simple step up, just get up and move.
3. Eat less calories and less junk food. Keep sugar intake to a minimum and if you must eat pasta or any kind of carbohydrates, eat half as much as you used too. Cutting portion sizes really does help.
4. Drink Diet’s or Detox tea. That gives you a quick jump-start on your diet.
5. Keep a diary of what you are eating and your caloric intake. It will help keep you in check.
6. Don’t be hard on yourself. If you cheat and eat more of something that maybe you shouldn’t have, don’t give up, just walk twice as much the next day and get back on track as soon as you can.
Remember, you can have a treat here and there but try to remember that you will not only look better when the weight is off, you will feel better too. It really is all about getting to a better you.