“Better to measure twice and cut once than measure once and cut twice!” This is a phrase we’ve all been told at one point in our lives. In most cases, I’m the fool who elects to measure only once. Anyone who knows me can tell you that I often get myself into situations that call for more research before practice. I chalk this up to my assuming these tasks are easier than they appear. The projects I find myself attempting rarely go as planned.
In perhaps my most frustrating home repair projects was the simple act of moving a door. When we moved into our four bedroom home, an office door stood in the middle of the hallway, separating the entryway and the rest of the hallway. There was really no purpose for this door. It sat in the hallway serving no purpose. I thought the windowed door would look great and actually serve a purpose. This door could be put to use by separating the office from the opposite side of the entryway and allowing less noise from the rest of the house into the office.
I grabbed the drill we’d already had out for putting up shelves and curtain rods and went right to work. The first problem I ran into was a layer of white paint over the head of the screws. Whoever had painted the interior of the home hadn’t bothered to remove the door when painting and simply brushed right over the hinges. The drill was unable to catch the screws. I had to stop and spend about fifteen minutes digging into the head of each screw with a screwdriver to make the heads ready for the drill.
I thought the worst end of the project was behind me, I was wrong. Of the four screws holding in the two hinges, three of them were stripped. I ended up having to pull on the door while the hinges pried the screws out the rest of the way. This left three breath mint sized holes in my walls.
After gathering new screws and charging the drill, I was ready to place the door into the empty door-frame of the office. I propped the door up onto my foot and began to screw the hinges to the wall. The fresh screws went in rather easily and all seemed to finally be going according to plan. After finishing with the hinges, I went to shut the door. The door did not fit in the frame. I’d foolishly assumed that both door-frames were the same size and hadn’t bothered to measure the office’s frame.
I still thought the office needed a door and that the particular door had no place in the hallway. I decided that I’d find a way to shut the door. I grabbed a hook latch that we’d had packed in the basement and screwed the latch into the door and the hook into the wall. Although the door is not a perfect fit, it does indeed close and lock thanks to my lazy idea.
If I had to do this project over again, perhaps I’d measure before spending an hour removing the door. I’d come too far after removing the door from the hall for it not to be placed where I wanted it. If you plan on moving, adding or replacing a door in your home, please measure before you go any further. Assumptions never do any good in home repair jobs.