With rain, rain, and more rain in the forecast it can be difficult to find ways to keep young kids active, physically fit, and away from the TV. So what’s a parent to do when the sun is no where in sight?
Here are some activities I’ve found that the kids really enjoy and that get them moving a bit on a lazy Saturday:
- Obstacle Course Race: Using a stop watch each child takes a turn jumping from cushion to cushion, crawling under the table, jogging up the stairs and back, and finishing off with a few jumps on the mini-trampoline (always supervised of course).
- Building a Fort: Using sheets and some extra light-weight blanket the children decide how to best build the fort together and with a little bit of help get it set up and bring down pillows, books, and whatever else to go inside.
- Yoga and Stretching: I was surprised at first but when the kids saw me doing some stretching they were both ready (and almost begging) to try it with me. It sort of evolved from there and they picked up some simple Yoga moves.
- Indoor Bowling: This one is probably the favorite. Using a few cleaned bottles filled with just a little bit of water for balance and a tennis ball you can create free entertainment in your kitchen.
- And of course…..throw on some music and have some fun!
One of the best resources that I have found is the Let’s Move website which recommends children get 60 minutes of activities a day and offers great suggestions for indoor activity such as limiting TV time and encouraging physical activities like balls or jump ropes.
Adding one or two of these activities to your weekend routine is a great way to keep the children active, entertained, and away from the TV.