Like any other girl, I also relish chocolates. Two years back, I underwent a root canal therapy in ten sessions. Those ten sessions with the dentist were very painful and extravagant. Dental treatment is nothing short of a nightmare when it comes to cost. I decided then to explore some effective and affordable options to maintain my oral hygiene. One of my friends suggested me to visit Ayurvedic therapy clinic in my city. I visited and consulted a therapist who checked my teeth and advised to start with “Oil Pulling Therapy”.
Oil Pulling is an Ayurvedic therapy, which is meant mainly for prevention and cure of dental problems. Ayurvedic therapy has been put into practice since medieval ages and has its roots in India; my native country. The benefits of oil pulling range also to a slew of other diseases.
How to do it?
Oil pulling should be performed every morning by swirling a tablespoon of raw oil (sesame, coconut, olive or sunflower oil) in mouth with empty stomach for about 10-15 minutes and then, spitting it out. Oil should not be swallowed. After spitting, mouth is washed with lukewarm water and then, toothpaste is used to brush the teeth.
Why I prefer it?
At first, I was at sixes and sevens if it will be worthwhile. But, it is. I have been practicing it and I have experienced stronger gums and teeth. Here are some of the benefits which I availed of oil pulling:
- Oil pulling cleanses out harmful bacteria and other toxins in the mouth which cause tooth decay and other problems. It is also beneficial for curing acne,migraine,asthma, gastro-enteritis, etc.
- It helps in whitening of teeth and fights bad breath
- Unlike allopathic medicines, it is natural and therefore has no side effects. It is safe.
- It’s affordable. I no longer have to burn a hole in my pocket for dental treatments. Oil pulling uses oil which is cheaper.
- Oil is easily available. So, it is hassle-free.
- It’s not time-consuming. In today’s life, where we are running errands, making out 15 minutes daily saves my time on booking dental appointments and visiting clinics for treatments.
From my experience, I reiterate that oil pulling is beneficial and I know that you all also don’t want to bear painful treatments now and then and even pay for them. Keep smiling because your smile is a source of happiness for many.