Planning a trip this summer? Can’t wait to feel the sunshine tingling your face as you lay on the beach by the Mediterranean Sea? Or is it the fun adventures with your kids at a new theme park? Wherever you plan on going this summer you can bet lots of other people are too. So even though it’s not even officially spring yet, you should get moving on those travel plans. Here are some tips to help you get ahead and ready for summer travels:
- Purchase airline, hotel, and cruise tickets now. Although you can wait and see if you are lucky to find last minute deals, buying these now allows you to have the dates and places set so that you can start booking other events at your destination, like 4th of July show tickets or parades.
- Sign up for email alerts. Many booking sites offer to send you email alerts when your flight is at a reduced price. If you are on the fence about a ticket right now take advantage of this, as airlines have random specials going on all the time and you don’t want to miss your chance.
- Check for reward points on your credit card. Unless you specifically have an airline card, most people don’t realize that they have reward points racking up on their credit cards. Most credit card companies offer many ways to redeem these points including airfare or hotel reservations.
- Schedule time off work. Planning trips can get exciting, and before you know it you have paid for the flights, booked the rooms, and started a packing list -and forgot to request the time off of work. Ask for the specific dates off before you make any vacation purchases in case there is a problem with the requested dates.
- Look at travel guides, make good choices. You don’t want to miss out on a special event or attraction, start taking the time now to look at travel guides. Look for any special events that might be taking place during your time there. For example, any 4th of July shows, or special showings at museums. Make a list of priorities of which places and events you want to go to the most, depending on your dates you might not be able to see them all.
- Chat it up. Check out travel sites and blogs and read what others recommend on your destination. This is one of the best ways to find out about a local must-see place and those you want to avoid. Try lonelyplanet.com for information on your destination. Check out their Thorn Tree forum or other traveling forums for people’s recommendations.
Making travel plans does not have to a last minute stressful experience, start taking action now, as the date gets closer the less you need to worry about. These tips also apply to travels throughout the year, especially when traveling with a group or family. Start thinking, planning, and dreaming of that vacation, you’ll be there soon!