One of the best programs for papercrafting is Pepakura. The only real problem with the free view is that all files save as .pdo files. You can only open them on computers that have Pepakura Viewer installed. What if you want to have a printing store print the images for you? What if you want to use your library printer?
Your first thought is to save them as jpeg pictures, but that’s nearly impossible. The easiest thing to do is to save .pdo files as pdf files that open in Adobe Reader that all computers have.
Print Files as PDF
1) Download a free PDF writer program. I highly recommend Nitro PDF, but many people also use Cute PDF. This how-to assumes you used my favorite program, Nitro PDF, but the general steps remain the same.
Your computer has Adobe Reader, but it only lets you view pdf files and not work with them. Adobe Pro costs money, so you might as well just use a free progam.
2) Open your pdo files in Pepakura Viewer.
3) Click on “File” on the top bar and then choose “print.”
4) Under the printer name drop-down list, choose “Nitro PDF” as your printer.
5) Under the Print Range box, choose to print pages 1 to 1. You only want one page at a time.
6) Click “OK.” The first page will save as a PDF file and open automatically in Nitro PDF.
7) Click “file” on the top bar of Nitro PDF and then hover over “Save as.” Choose “Save as PDF Document.” Choose the save location and then hit “Save.”
8) Repeat with the rest of the pdo file pages. Now you will set to print page 2 of 2, 3 of 3, and so on.
Optional Steps: Merge PDF Files
1) Go to PDFMERGE! It is a website that lets you combine PDF files into one free.
2) Choose your papercraft PDF files you just made by clicking “Browse” and locating your files one at a time.
3) Click “Merge.”
4) Choose to “Save File” when the box pops up and then choose your save location on your computer.
5) Click “OK” and the combined file will save. Open it in Nitro PDF to make sure it looks right.
Tips and Tricks
1) If you use Cute PDF or another free program, the process is the same. Choose to print your pdo file in Pepakura Viewer, but choose the PDF writer as your printer.
2) You can download PDF combining programs free, but I don’t believe in downloading programs I won’t use often.
3) There are free PDF Converters online, too, if you don’t want to download one. PDF programs get a lot of use, so in my opinion, it’s worth downloading.