Have a bag of old silk flowers hanging out in the attic, spare room or garage? I know how you feel. Until recently, I had a pile of artificial flowers that I had spent good money on for but for various reasons, couldn’t use them anymore. I hate throwing out money so I decided to brainstorm some ideas on how to recycle old flower arrangements. I do love crafting so this was a fun project for me. Here were the ideas I came up with for recycling silk flowers.
Refresh Old Flower Arrangements with Spray Paint
Yep, spray paint. There are so many different paint styles you can choose from. Craft stores actually have floral spray paint-I had no idea. Regular spray paint works fantastic too, just avoid drips.
- Paint silk flowers metallic colors like silver, copper or gold.
- “Shabby-chic” those flowers with flat shades of light blue or yellow.
- Spray paint old flower arrangements black and save them for Halloween-spooky craft idea!
- Go monochrome by painting both the vase and the flowers white. It’s a startling visual effect.
Decorative Details with Silk Flowers
If you don’t want to paint your old flower arrangement, disassemble it. Use the petals and blooms as decorative touches around your home.
- Hot glue silk blooms to a lampshade for a country, whimsical décor.
- Sew or glue old flowers to curtain tie backs.
- Glue the silk flower to refrigerator magnets and use them as art hangers.
- Hide boring old vanity pulls by gluing a flower to each knob.
- Create a shadow box of blooms and display them like artwork.
Dress Up Clothing and Accessories with Artificial Flowers
I absolutely love clothing crafts. I had so much fun dressing up an old blue jean jacket and flip flops with flowers. For the shoes, find two blooms that match (or not, it’s up to you) and glue them to the thong of your shoes. Such a pretty recycling project. I also glued silk flowers to my blue jean jacket, just at the lapels. You could also glue the blooms to large bobby pins and just pin the flowers wherever you want them.