This is a recipe I have always enjoyed making with my mom for family gatherings. We have now added to the tradition and have my nieces help out with this recipe. My nephews will sometimes join into the fun too. It’s difficult for some children to help because its done mainly on the stove but I always give the small kids the job of measuring out all of the ingredients and then handing them to us when we need them. It makes them feel important and the whole family can enjoy a special bond when everyone helps out. Happy eating!
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 chopped up onion
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 1/2 pound of ground meat
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1 cans of of black beans
- 1 tablespoon of chili powder
- 3 cups of water
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 cup of corn kernels
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- Over medium heat, combine olive oil, onion and green pepper. Cook for 4 minutes while stirring.
- Add ground meat, chopping it up into smaller pieces while you are cooking it. Cook for 4 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add in tomato paste and stir until completely combined.
- Add in black beans, chili power, water, pepper and salt.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in corn kernels and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Serve and enjoy