Cheese sticks are one of the most popular appetizers. They are great to serve at parties, before meals, or as a snack. This recipe is simple to make. Easy to serve, dip and eat. Here’s how to make them:
- In medium saucepan, heat oil for frying to 350 degrees. Use vegetable oil or lard, whichever you prefer.
- Prepare a bowl with a wet mixture of 2 eggs, beaten, and a cup of milk. Add Italian dressing for flavor, if desired.
- Prepare a bowl of a dry mixture of 1 cup of flour (I use Wondra Flour for this recipe but all-purpose flour will do also), 1 cup of corn meal, Italian seasonings, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Take pre-packaged mozzarella string cheese, unwrap them and cut them in half.
- Dip the half pieces of cheese in your wet mix bowl and let the excess drip off. Make sure they are completely wet so that the dry mix will stick.
- Take the wet cheese and coat completely in the dry mix. Dust off extra coating. Doing this part one piece at a time is best because putting too many pieces in the bowl will make them stick together and some sides won’t be coated.
- You can repeat this process by going back to the wet mix and then to the dry mix once more if you like a thicker crust. Just make sure whether you coat once or twice that the entire stick is coated or it will burn your cheese… and that’s just nasty.
- Once you have prepared your cheese sticks, fry in oil until they float. Watch them closely because this only takes about a minute, if that.
- Once they float and are golden brown, remove from oil with tongs or slotted spoon, drain on paper towels and allow them to cool.
This is so simple, easy and delish! Serve with your favorite brand or homemade recipe of marinara sauce or enjoy them plain.