Color sugar comes in a variety of shades but if you need more than a couple, it can get pricy. If you don’t want to spend the extra money on this edible embellishment or you need some quickly, make color sugar at home. By making your own color sugar, you can get the perfect shade of pink or a deep blue-whatever color you like! Make up a batch and store this sweet treat in jars. Always store color sugar in a cool cabinet or pantry.
DIY Color Sugar
For this food craft, you need a few supplies including sugar, zippered storage bags, liquid food coloring, scissors and a lidded jar. You may also need plastic gloves since liquid food coloring can stain your skin.
- Pour the sugar into a zippered storage bag. A measure of ½ cup is a good amount of color sugar; however, if you want to make a larger batch, increase it to 1 cup of sugar.
- Drop in two generous drops of liquid food coloring for ½ cup of sugar. Less is more! It’s better to start with just a few drops and add more liquid food coloring if you need to. (Color sugar can look unappealing if it is too intensely colored.)
- Zip up the bag and lay it on a flat counter top or table. Use your fingers to massage the color into the sugar. This distributes the tint throughout the sugar making color sugar. Work carefully without piercing the bag.
- Examine the color. If it is not the shade you expected, add one or two more drops of color to the bag and then zip it shut. Work the tint into the color sugar using the massage technique.
- Allow the sugar to rest overnight before using it. (Color sugar needs to dry or the stain will transfer to your mouth when you taste it.) Use scissors to cut off a corner of the bag and pour the sugar into the jar.
- Keep the lid on the jar until it is ready to be used.
Jars of color sugar make thoughtful gifts for anyone who loves to bake too.
Read more from Monica Bullock:
Four Christian Party Themes
Host a Margaritaville Party
Throw a Welcome Home Party