This is my recipe for chili mac & cheese. Kids love this recipe but it’s not a kid friendly recipe for them to help out in making it. There are a few things they may be able to help with but this recipe requires a lot of work using the stove. When I have my nieces over to spend the night and have a girl’s night, we like to make this recipe together. I have them measure and hand me the ingredients when I need them. I also have them stir in the cheese while I supervise them so they don’t get burned. They also like to scoop it into bowls and hand deliver the food to everyone. They love playing chefs and waitresses. I hope you can find a way to have your own bonding experience with your family with this recipe as well. Happy eating.
- 1 teaspoon of canola oil
- 3/4 pound of ground meat
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons of chili powder
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup of water
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces of elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 4 ounces of cream cheese
- 5 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup of Italian seasoned bread crumbs (optional)
- In a frying pan, heat up your 1 teaspoon of canola oil and add in the 3/4 pound of ground meat, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, 1 teaspoon of ground cumin and 2 teaspoon of chili powder. Cook for 10 minutes or until there in no more pink showing on the meat. Do not drain any grease from the pan.(Please note that you can change any of the spices used in this recipe to your liking. I have listed what my family and I prefer to use when cooking ground meat. Just make sure you keep the chili powder in the recipe or it wouldn’t be a chili macaroni and cheese recipe anymore.
- Add in 2 cups of beef broth, 1 cup of water and 1 can of diced tomatoes.
- Let this mixture cook for 8 minutes and bring to a boil.
- When your pan is boiling, add in your 8 ounces of elbow macaroni and cook for and additional 10 minutes.
- In a separate saucepan on medium heat, combine 1/2 cup of milk and 4 ounces of cream cheese.
- Heat this mixture for 3 minutes or until it is smooth and creamy.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in your 5 ounces of shredded cheddar cheese.
- Add the cheese sauce mixture to your macaroni and stir well making sure that you completely cover your macaroni and ground meat.
- Sprinkle the 1/2 cup of Italian seasoned bread crumbs on top and do not mix. This step is optional.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve and enjoy.