This restaurant holds wonderful memories for me. It is the place that family and friends gathered when my son came home for one of his leaves from the Navy. A fun place with all the crazy decorations, really friendly staff and great food choices that make it difficult to decide what to order. One thing you can count on is that the portions are large and you will need to share, so coordinating things is always a good idea when dining here.
One of the dishes they offer is their Lemon Chicken, which has lemon juice and capers along with selected ingredients. This recipe can be prepared in less than 30 minutes. This is my version of the copycat recipes that are out there, and I believe mine is as close to the original as you can get, so give it a try for yourself. If you have never eaten at the restaurant or tried this dish while dining there, make this home version for your first experience, you will be glad you did.
Buca Di Beppo Lemon Chicken
3 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Salt & pepper lightly
1 Cup flour
¼ Cup olive oil
¼ Cup white wine
2 Lemons, large
½ stick unsalted butter, softened
¼ Cup heavy whipping cream
½ Cup capers, more or less to suit your taste
- Chicken Breasts – Make sure that you trim all the fat and any other unwanted parts of the chicken breasts and rinse them well. Cut each breast in half long way so that you end up with 6 skinnier filets. Take your meat hammer or whatever tool you use to tenderize your meat and pound the chicken out. Don’t make it too thin, but give it a few hits for each breast.
- Cut the lemons in half and strain the juice from them, do this with whatever tools you have on hand to do so, just make sure you end up with seedless juice.
- Put your flour, salt and pepper into a shallow dish and mix it together.
- With a 12 inch or larger saute pan, begin to heat up the oil on a medium to medium-high heat. Once the oil is heated, take a piece of chicken and lightly coat it in the flour mixture, shake off any excess flour and place the chicken in the saute pan.
- Repeat this procedure with the remaining pieces of chicken until all of the portions are golden brown.
- Once all the chicken is golden brown you will add the white wine and lemon juice. Continue to cook for about three minutes and at the end of three minutes the liquid should have reduced by half. Make sure to keep an eye on the fire under the chicken so it is not too low or to high or the chicken will not cook up properly.
- When the liquid has reduced by half, remove the chicken from the pan and turn it off.
- You will now finish the sauce by placing the softened butter and cream into the pan. Use a spatula, move the butter around the pan, making sure that everything blends and the somewhat burned or cooked particles loosen up and become part of the sauce.
- If need, you can sprinkle more flour in to thicken the sauce. Once your sauce is blended, add in the capers.
- Assemble your chicken on a platter and pour the sauce over the chicken and garnish with some lemon wedges.
That is how easy it is making your own home cooked version of Buca di Beppo Lemon Chicken and save yourself some money while doing so. There is nothing like dining at the restaurant and enjoying the dish that is prepared for you by their cooks so make sure you get out and enjoy dining and being waited on, you deserve it.
From my kitchen to yours…That’s what’s cooking!