This system will use a small pump to circulate nutrient rich water through a system of bottles holding different plants. The bottles will be placed on a window stand in order to draw natural sunlight. With this system you can grow many different plants including edible fruits, vegetables, and herbs.
- · 1″ by 4″ boards measuring the width of your window
- · ½ inch dowels measuring the height of your window
- · Recycled clear plastic bottles
- · Aquarium tubing
- · Medium size aquarium (or a water holding substitute)
- · Submersible fish tank water pump
- · Zip ties
- · Power drill
- · 2″ screws
- · ½ inch drill bit
- · Wood glue
- · Hammer
- · Precision craft knife
- · Water proof sealant
1. Measure your window and purchase 1″ by 4″ boards that are as long as the width of your window. You will need to purchase ½ dowels that are as tall as your window.
2. Using a ½ inch drill bit, drill evenly spaced holes into the boards for your dowels. The holes should be centered lengthwise and evenly spaced on the board. Drill holes into the other board in exactly the same location as you drilled the first holes. This will ensure that the dowels will fit properly and will keep your structure square and even.
3. Evenly coat the inside of the holes you drilled with a light amount of wood glue. Then use a hammer to gently tap the dowels into place on both boards. Give the glue time to set according to the instructions on the bottle.
4. Use the drill and 2″ screws to attach your structure to the window sill.
5. Gather six medium sized clear plastic bottles and remove any wrappers on the outside. Use the precision knife to cut off the bottom of each bottle.
6. Use the zip ties to attach the bottles to the dowels cut side up. The best set up will have the bottles alternating sides as seen in the diagram above. This will aid water flow when the garden is complete.
7. Use the knife to cut a small hole in all of the bottles. This hole should be just big enough to fit the aquarium tubing, and should be made on the side of the bottle an inch below the top.
8. Fit one piece of aquarium tubing to the pump and bring it up to the top using zip ties to secure it to the top of the dowels a T connection will be used to split the water glow between the two top bottles.
9. Use pieces of aquarium tubing to connect the bottles as seen above. When the tubing is in place use the sealant to secure the tubing in place and avoid any leaks. The bottom bottles will have a length of aquarium tubing going back to the water source connected to their sides.
10. The pump should be placed inside the water container (an aquarium or similar). Fill the aquarium with water and mix in a water soluble fertilizer.
11. Do Not put seeds directly in the garden. They need to sprout using damp paper towel before they can be added.
12. You can add your sprouts and turn on the pump. It will circulate fresh nutrient rich water to your plants. Use the pump to circulate water once every one to two days.
Enjoy fresh vegetables and herbs throughout the year!!!