Outside of increasing sales, small businesses could definitely benefit from growing their customer base. A larger customer base can mean higher sales, more referrals, and less competition. However, not all employers know exactly how to get more customers supporting their business. This article was written for those employers.
One of the things that I learned while working in retail and direct sales, and from owning a cosmetic business is that growing your customer base is a matter of attracting new people and keeping them interested enough to come back for more. Follow these simple tips for ways to attract and keep new customers…
1. Give great customer service. Customer service should always come first. When you treat your customers like a prize, they will naturally want to be a part of your company’s support team. No matter what you’re selling, good customer service will always be what truly gets to your customers heart. Treat them well and they will treat you well-that’s a guarantee.
2. Expand your products and services. If you want new customers, offer new services. There are some people that aren’t supporting your business simply because you don’t sell what they want or need-therefore they take their business elsewhere. If you can find a few items or services to add to your business list, you will find that there will be new faces coming to you for services.
3. Have more price variation. Another reason why you may not have more customers is because of your prices. They could be expensive, but they could also be very low. The problem is that prices that are either at one extreme or the other doesn’t seem to attract customers from the other end of the spectrum. This is okay, but it does get in the way of customers that may be on a different budget.
4. Open in a new location. You can either move your business or open another business in a new location so that you can reach more customers. This is only a good idea of you have the money for another start-up. But if you do, this could be the one thing that changes everything. Location is very important in business, so if you can find a more productive location, go for it.
5. Encourage referrals. Acknowledge the power of word of mouth. If you provide great products and services, your customers may naturally tell people about it any way. But you can encourage them to tell others by having a referral program where you give discounts or prizes to employees and customers that help bring in new customers. This is usually easier to do when you have a very small business, but once your business starts to grow, it may be harder to keep track of who’s referring who. However, this is a great tactic for a business that is brand new with very few employees and customers.
6. Make television ads. A television ad is a wonderful way to reach new customers. (You can also take advantage of radio ads too.) These ads reach customers outside of your immediate location, so you can have potential customers from other areas hearing about your business and coming to support it-especially if you provide a service that they can’t find elsewhere. Television ads are a quick and easy way to spread the word about your business.
These are just a few simple tips on how to grow your customer base, but there are so many other tactics you can use. The possibilities are endless. You can get great tips from Marketing Masters: Secrets of America’s Best Companies by Gene Walden and Edmund O. Lawler. It’s an excellent book on how large, nationally known companies climbed their way to success. You can also read The Fastest Way to Find New Customers | Entrepreneur.com .