Going to the beach is a popular summer activity for millions of people every year. When you go on vacation you want to be as prepared as possible and be able to slow down and get the most out of your trip as possible. I love the beach but with my family sometimes the situation goes bad and everyone turns out miserable. Here are ten tips I learned to keep everyone happy and to enjoy the beach in all it’s glory.
1. Sun Tan Lotion– This may seem like a no brainer for most people but be sure to bring plenty of sunscreen with you. No matter what type you use, even if it says waterproof or sport, it will get washed off in the ocean and needs to be re-applied frequently. The lighter your skin the higher SPF protection you will want. I’ve spent many days after the beach immobilized from a bad sun burn.
2. Go Early In The Day– Try to wake up, eat, and head to the beach as early as possible. This way you avoid crowds on popular beaches and when your day is done you have time to do other fun activities. You will also avoid the hottest times of the day but still feel like you got plenty of time in the sand.
3. Have Shade– If you’re planning to stay at the beach the entire day make sure you have plenty of shade to rest and cool off. An umbrella is a popular and often cheap option that will protect you from baking in the sun. If you have kids you could also buy a small tent that will allow them to rest or sleep away from the UV rays.
4. Plan Your Eating– Think about how much you will need to drink to stay hydrated throughout the time you’re on the beach. Pick food to eat that won’t go bad quickly. When packing your cooler put cans and bottles on the bottom and food on the tow with the ice between the two. As the ice melts the cold water will surround your drinks without getting your food wet.
5. Bring The Fun With You– For both kids and adults the beach could get pretty boring without anything to do other than swim. Bring toys to play with in the sand or bring a beach ball or volleyball to play some games on the shore.
6. Don’t Drink Alcohol– While having a couple beers on the beach may seem like the perfect way to relax and enjoy your surroundings, it’s actually a bad idea. The alcohol will dehydrate you fast on the hot beach and you will get a bad sunburn even faster than normal. If you do drink make sure to balance out every alcoholic drink with a bottle of water to prevent negative effects.
7. Bring Baby Powder– Next time you visit the beach throw some baby powder in your bag and sprinkle it on your hands, legs, and feet before entering your car or hotel room. The powder will coat the sand and it will fall off easily and immediately.
8. Sunglasses– Like your skin, it’s important to protect your eyes from all the sun they will be getting. Everyone in your family should have a pair of sunglasses to help block out the harmful UV rays. Not only will you look cool but your vision will stay intact.
9. Obey The Signs– Most beaches will post signs that will tell you important information about the ocean. These flags or signs could signal strong currents, sharks, jellyfish, or undertow. It’s important to learn about these signals to keep everyone safe on your day at the beach.
10. Take Vinegar– Everyone knows that a jellyfish or anemone sting can be a particularly painful incident, the most common advice being to pee on it. If this is too much for you or you want to save your dignity, try spraying a layer of vinegar on it to stop the sting. The ammonia in the solution will do the same thing as urine.
Going to the beach is a fun experience and is the most remembered trip in the summer for many people around the world. With this advice my family vacations to the beach have been more relaxing and stress free. Take these tips and apply them to your next beach vacation for maximum fun and safety. Have fun!
For more vacation tips and information from this author check out:
Ten Great Camping Hacks To Keep The Outdoors Easy
Guide To Having The Best Vacation Ever
Must Visit Attractions In Washington DC